ICT Associate Professional
A new government scheme allows tech enthusiasts to earn as they learn
Have you always dreamed of working for a fast-paced and innovative tech company but shudder at the thoughts of spending four penniless years in college striving for an IT degree? The ICT Associate Professional programme now offers tech enthusiasts the opportunity to work (and get paid) in an established technology company while earning a qualification at the same time!
What is it?
This is a two year study and work scheme for anyone with an interest in a career in IT. Government organistations ICT (Information Communications Technology), FIT (Fast track to IT), ETBI (Education and Training Boards of Ireland) and SOLAS (An tSeirbhís Oideachais Leanúnaigh agus Scileanna) have teamed up with prominent technology companies i.e. Microsoft, Fujitsu, IBM, to offer applicants an opportunity to gain an IT qualification while earning valuable hands-on work experience.
Who's it for?
- ICT Associate Professional is aimed at those with an interested in working in the vibrant technology sector in Ireland but don't have any IT qualifications.
- Potential associates must have passed the Leaving Certificate or its equivalent.
- To qualify for a position on the program you must past Aptitudes Assessments that are adminstered by FIT (Fast track To IT).
- Although the scheme is aimed at 18 - 25 year olds, anyone of any age with an aptitude for all things IT can apply.
- ICT Associate Professional currently focuses on two areas of IT so the program is open to those interested in: Network and Systems and Software Development.
How does it work?
- Once selected for the ICT Associate Professional you begin by attending college for six months. This initial period of study is paid for by the government so you won't have to worry about paying fees.
- The next 12 months is a combination of work and college. You will work for your company for three days a week and attend college for the other two days. During this time you will be paid between €260 and €290 per week.
- For the last six months of the ICT Professional Associate programme you are required to work four days a week and go to college for one day. For your efforts you will receive between €340 and €385 per week.