Leaving Cert appeals
Information on viewing exam scripts and appealing the Leaving Cert.
If you are not happy with your exam results and feel that they do not reflect your work or ability, you can arrange to appeal.
Viewing your paper/s:
- Firstly, you can arrange to view the exam papers in one or more subjects at your school. When you get your Leaving Cert results, you will also receive an application form that shows all the subjects you have taken.
- If you want to view a paper in any subjects, you fill out the form, mark the subject/s you want to view and return the form to your school by a specified date. You will then be notified of the date on which you can view your exam papers. You cannot view the results of practical and oral exams – only the written and aural papers. If you decide to appeal a result, all parts of that exam will be reassessed though.
- You can bring one person with you to the viewing. This can include a teacher or parent. The viewing will be at the exam centre where you took your exams (usually your school).
Appealing the results:
- Remember that an appeal aims to ensure that your work has been marked fairly - your result may stay the same or be upgraded or downgraded after an appeal.
- If you decide to appeal after viewing your exam papers, you’ll need to fill in another form provided by your school. The closing date for receipt of this form is September 4th.
- Your appealed script will be sent to an examiner to re-mark. This examiner will be different from the person who originally marked your script. However, the same marking system will be used.
- If you are still not happy with your results, you can further appeal by requesting an appeal review by the Independent Appeals Scrutineers. Forms for this process are provided with your appeal results.
- If you see that there is a difference between the mark awarded on the actual exam paper and your actual grade, you can appeal this too. You’ll need to fill in a FORM AP1, which you can get from the Organising Superintendent at the viewing.
- It costs €40 per Leaving Cert subject and €15.50 per Leaving Cert applied subject. This fee will be refunded if your result is upgraded. Payment is by bank giro only. It is very important that you pay using the bank giro on the appeal form, rather than using the bank’s own giro form.
- You can also pay online. However, you must print a copy of the email receipt and show it to the Organising Superintendent of your exam centre. Then, your school will post it the State Examinations Commission.