Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Third level student grant

Check out if you are eligible for a third level student grant.

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

Student grant applications for 2017/2018 are now open. You can apply here.

Most undergraduate students attending publicly funded third-level courses do not have to pay tuition fees. Under the terms of the Free Fees Initiative, the Department of Education and Skills pays the fees to the colleges instead.

However, if you don’t qualify for the Free Fees Initiative, you may qualify for a student grant.

The undergraduate student grants are divided into maintenance grants and fee grants. The amount of grant aid or support depends on your means/parent’s income (see below for more on cut off rates).

The fee grants can cover:

  • All or part of the student contribution (€2,500)
  • Costs of essential field trips
  • All or part of a student’s tuition fees

Maintenance grant:

A maintenance grant is a contribution towards a student’s living costs. Generally, if you qualify for a maintenance grant, you qualify for the fees grant.

To qualify for a maintenance grant:

How to apply:

  • You can apply online here.
  • You will need your PPS number to register here
  • You will need your CAO number
  • You will need the gross income of your earnings/your parents/cohabitants etc. where applicable
  • A personalised list of supporting documentation will be requested by SUSI once you’ve applied (Remember to apply in advance as some forms will take time to request and process, e.g. your parent’s P60s etc.).

Where to apply:

You can apply online for a student grant for the 2017-2018 from April 3rd. 

If you are applying to renew a grant for 2017-2018, apply to the authority that issued your grant last year. It will be one of the following:

College fund in scrabble letters and coins in the background

Means test:

If you were living with your parents from October 1 of the year before the year of entry to the course (so 2013 if you’re applying for September 2014), you are considered dependent on your parents and any income you earned is assessed together with your parents' income.

Independent mature candidates are candidates aged over 23 who live separately from their parents from 1 October of the year before the year of entry to the course. If you are an independent student, you are assessed on your own income (and that of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, if applicable).

Share this article -

Published July 16th, 2013
Last updated April 4th, 2017
Tags grants student finance money
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?