Need some work motivation?
Tips to help you get motivated.
It can be difficult to motivate yourself at work if you’re fed up, find it boring and are dreaming of your holidays! It can be especially hard to keep motivated when you’re doing an internship or unpaid work experience as there’s no money incentive, or if you’re not gaining the type of experience you’d like.
So here are some tips to get you back in the groove
- Set some goals. If you have a daily or weekly target to achieve, it’ll make life easier and you will have a sense of accomplishment in work. If you can’t set targets for yourself, approach your manager/boss and ask them to set you some realistic goals.
- Enjoy your breaks. Do something fun or relaxing on your lunch or tea breaks, go for a walk or to the gym or go shopping.
- Up-skill. If you don’t want to stay in your current role but within an organisation maybe consider doing some training and up-skilling. Taking the initiative will look good at work and challenging yourself will make you more motivated!
- Make a list. Not a to-do one but rather a ‘What I got done today’ list. Physically recording all the things you get done in a day should give you a sense of achievement.
- Work/life balance. It’s important to keep these separate and to do things you enjoy outside of work, you don’t want your lack of motivation in work to seep into your outside life. Having something to look forward to after work can help you get through the workload.
- Think of the money… or the experience or the numerous reasons why you are there. It’s important to keep things in perspective and think of your CV in the long run or think of a treat you can buy yourself from your wages.
- Stay positive. If you are feeling negative about work or something that’s happening this can make you lose motivation so instead, play some of your favourite music, read some motivational quotes, watch a TEDx talks video. Embrace the positivity!
Some motivational quotes
- You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream. C. S. Lewis
- Our greatest weakness lies in giving up. The most certain way to succeed is always to try just one more time. Thomas A. Edison
- With the new day comes new strength and new thoughts. Eleanor Roosevelt
- Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement. Nothing can be done without hope and confidence. Helen Keller
- By failing to prepare, you are preparing to fail. Benjamin Franklin
- I’ve missed more than 9000 shots in my career. I’ve lost almost 300 games. 26 times, I’ve been trusted to take the game winning shot and missed. I’ve failed over and over and over again in my life. And that is why I succeed. Michael Jordan
- I’ve learned that no matter what happens, or how bad it seems today, life does go on, and it will be better tomorrow. Maya Angelou
- In three words I can sum up everything I’ve learned about life: It goes on. Robert Frost
- You pray for rain, you gotta deal with the mud too. That’s a part of it. I’d be more frightened by not using whatever abilities I’d been given. I’d be more frightened by procrastination and laziness. Denzel Washington
What keeps you motivated at work? Let us know in the comments below!