6 ways to promote positive thinking
Learn how to think more positively
Positive thinking is not only a beneficial way to increase your self-esteem but it has also been shown to be helpful for your mental and physical health as well. Listed below are some ways to help you start thinking more positively.
Identify the negative thoughts that you typically have
- It is easy to not realize or to shrug off negative thoughts that take place in your mind, which is why it is important to spend time catching yourself when you have a negative thought.
- There are four types of negative thoughts, they are: all or nothing thinking- “everything must be done perfectly, or I will be considered a failure,” negative-self labeling- stating negative things about oneself (i.e. “I’m not good at school,” “I am a failure.”), catastrophizing - where you assume it will be the worst case scenario for events that are happening in your life, and filtering- only focusing on the negative things that are occurring in life.
- These negative thoughts can prevent you from seeing the good in what is happening around you, and can also lead to more negative thinking down the road.
- In order to promote positive thinking, start identifying and getting rid of thinking these negative thoughts.
Start your day on the right side of the bed
- Be sure to start your day with positive thoughts instead of negative ones.
- Start your day with thinking about some of the great things you will get to do that day or some of the things that you are looking forward to getting to do that day.
- Maintaining a healthy lifestyle through exercising and eating right can help relieve stress and therefore lessen your chances of negative thinking occurring.
- Make sure that you are getting enough sleep (the average is around seven to eight hours of sleep per night), exercising at least three times a week, and eating healthy.
- In general, doing these things can help bring on a more positive mood and therefore increase positive thinking.
Give yourself daily affirmations
- Daily affirmations are positive and encouraging statements that you say to yourself, for example “I will have a great day, today,” or “I have unlimited potential.”
- A great way to hear or get daily affirmations is through apps, some popular ones include: Unique Daily Affirmations, ThinkUp, and #lovepioneer by Jennifer Kass.
Surround yourself with positive people
- Surrounding yourself with positive friends can lead to positive thinking and an overall more positive mood.
- Positive friends can also give you the encouragement and support that you need when experiencing rough or negative times in life.
Assess situations differently
- Start taking situations that you were originally looking at negatively and putting a positive spin on them.
- At first this may be a difficult task to do, but with practice it’ll become easy.
- This also means to take a deeper look at the situations which are causing negative thoughts. These negative thoughts could be trying to tell you something (i.e. if you always have negative thoughts about your job, maybe this job doesn’t fit your interests and you should start searching for new jobs that are geared more towards your interests).