Written by Jack Eustace | Last updated March 15th, 2017
The HSE have today warned of the dangers around consuming fake or counterfeit alcohol after an incident of poisoning in Dublin.
The Health Service Executive have put out a public health alert which warns people against buying or drinking alcohol from unrecognised sellers or on the street. This is in response to a person becoming seriously ill in Ballymun, Dublin after drinking what they thought was vodka.
The person in question is currently in hospital. Local Gardaí and the Food Safety Authority are investigating what happened, but it is thought that the vodka bottle in question was actually filled with methanol, an extremely toxic liquid.
Methanol is a form of alcohol found in anti-freeze and windscreen wash. People who drink it may have the following symptoms almost right away:
There may then be a gap of 12-24 hours before more serious effects emerge. These can include any of the following:
In light of this incident and with the St Patrick's Day festival just ahead, the HSE are giving the following advice for anyone buying or drinking alcohol:
Can this be improved - Contact email@example.com if you have any suggestions for this article.
Registered Charity: CHY16212. Registered Company: 384783. SpunOut.ie is a registered trading name of Community Creations Ltd.
Legal Information © 2017 Community Creations Ltd. All Rights Reserved.