Tips on surviving Christmas
Sometimes it's not always all festive and fun
This is an opinion of a young person and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of SpunOut.ie. It is one person's experience and may be different for you. If you'd like to write something for SpunOut.ie please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Without a doubt, the Christmas season can be quite stressful. From trying to find the perfect gift, to making the huge dinner to feed an army. Here are some tips on how to stay mindful and not stress out:
- Christmas time tends to be a time where you spend a lot of money that you can’t always afford. Before you buy anything, make a budget!
- Play your favourite Christmas music. Music is a great way to relieve stress.
- Also, Christmas is a time where you spend a lot of time with your family. No doubt that this can become irritating and stressful. Make sure to have a balance between family, friends and yourself.
- Be sure to take time out for yourself. Let go of all the thoughts of others and treat yourself to a long bubble bath or read a book.
- Try as best you can to control your alcohol and food intake as it can leave you feeling low afterwards.
- If the festive season is getting to you, talk to someone. Call a friend and go for coffee or a walk with them and tell them how your feeling. Talking to someone you trust is a great way of getting things off your chest and maybe even resolving the problem.
- Most importantly, remember to have fun. Embrace the joy and magic; look at the lights, see the excitement on kids faces and remind yourself – this really shouldn’t be a stressful time. Christmas only comes around once a year so enjoy it!