Beating the back to school blues
There are ways to survive the return to school.
Some people love school and just can’t wait to get back to it. However, for the rest of us, going back to school can be a bit of a pain. Exams, homework or even other students can get to us and make us dread returning to the grind.
Here are some tips for surviving school:
- Don’t stress about being popular. It’s about a million times better to have one real friend than lots of people who only like you for your façade. Or your money. Or your clothes.
Read: SpunOut tips on Making new friends
- Don’t take it out on a teacher just because you can’t stand their living guts and you’d rather eat mammoth poop than spend another second in their class. You have to be there every week, so you might as well learn to tolerate it.
Read: SpunOut's article on 10 things never to say to a teacher
- Keep up with homework. It's always easier than leaving everything ‘till the last minute and then cramming.
Read: A compilation by SpunOut on Study tips
- Find an escape: drawing, playing football, singing, anything - as long as it’s absolutely nothing to do with your schoolbooks!
Read: Some SpunOut advice to get those Feel good highs
- Prepare to hear it for the millionth time: Breakfast is the most important meal of the day! Seriously though, it helps your concentration and makes it much easier to avoid sweets and crisps at break times.
Read: SpunOut writes about the importance of that first meal of the day and how to do Breakfast for busy people
- Pick subjects you’re interested in: They’re the ones you’ll do best in.
Read: The SpunOut article on Becoming the person you were meant to be
- Remember not to bottle things up. If you’re feeling frustrated, angry or want-to-kill-the-world-ish; vent it on your pillow, scream it from your lungs or chat about it with someone you trust - maybe a close friend or anonymous online buddy. Just don’t take it out on yourself by keeping it in.
Read: How to go about Managing feelings , according to SpunOut.
- Have fun and don't take it too seriously! Remember back in the day when you used to read and learn because it was fun and interesting? Forget the pressure to deliver results and just enjoy learning more about this wild world of ours.
Read: some sound advice from SpunOut on how to Step outside your bubble