Expert exam tips
Exam tips from a straight A student.
Cillian Fahy got seven straight As in his Leaving Cert in 2010. He then went on to sell his exam notes for almost €3000 on eBay. Cillian currently studies English and Maths at Trinity College Dublin and is a programme coordinator with OnlineGrinds.ie.
Here he gives you his top ten tips for preparing for the LC:
- Timetable: structure your study time to make the most of it.
- Experiment with study styles: there’s still time to learn how to learn.
- Keep the exam in mind: prioritise your study based on the marks for each section.
- Study space: make sure you have your own tidy study environment.
- Don’t spend too long on homework: manage your time between homework and study.
- Never count down to the exam. It will only make you (more) nervous.
- Use your mocks: consider where it went right and where it went wrong – be honest!
- Start learning now: don’t leave all the learning until the last minute. Your notes may be great but you’ll only get marks for what’s in your head.
- Do your own research: there are just loads of resources on the web to give you a better understanding of concepts.
- Reward yourself: study is tough so remember to incentivise yourself.
Onlinegrinds.ie is an interactive online grinds school where you can get grinds on Leaving Cert: Higher Level English, Irish, French, Maths, Geography & Physics and Ordinary Level Maths.
The grinds cost €10 for 70 minutes or €50 per month for unlimited grinds in unlimited subjects.