Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Study Abroad

One of the best ways to visit a new country is to study there.

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

One great way of travelling is to study or train in another country.

This not only looks good on your CV but also gives you a chance to experience different cultures as a local rather than a tourist. You can study and train in EU countries on the same terms as people from that country.

Do your research:

  • If you're already studying, check with your school, college or university to see if they have a study exchange programme with other countries.
  • Learn another language. Studying and training courses abroad are usually (though not always) taught in the language of that country.
  • Check the cost of living in the country you're thinking of studying in: can you afford to spend a term or a year there?
  • Check if the qualifications/ experience you receive will be recognized in Ireland or the UK.
  • Check whether you need a student visa or permit in the country you plan to visit.
  • Check with your own college department to see what is on offer for your particular course.

Study/ train abroad choices:

Learn a foreign language

There are loads of language schools offering different type of courses. You can choose between staying with a family, studying at a university, one week intensive course, etc. Many language courses are expensive so it's worth considering saving before you leave home or getting a part-time job while you are abroad. You could also choose to study a language in your home university or college. These courses usually include time abroad to perfect your language skills.


This programme gives third level students the opportunity to study in another EU country. The length of your time abroad can be from three months up to a year, but this depends on what your college or university agrees to. Your time studying abroad is recognised as part of your course. You might also be entitled to an Erasmus grant to help cover the expenses of living abroad. More info on the Erasmus programme here.

Placement year

Many third level courses include time spent on work placement or studying abroad. It's normal in almost all language degrees and many law, engineering, science and business courses. Check with your university or college.

Leonardo da Vinci programme
This offers work placements in EU countries for third level students, trainees and people looking for work. Your college or training providers must apply for funding to send you on a placement. Check the website for more info.

Share this article -

Published November 28th, 2012
Last updated February 23rd, 2018
Tags travel school education college
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?