Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

What is a P45?

You've probably heard of a P45 when changing jobs, but what is it?

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in employment

Share this article -

A P45 is a very important piece of paper given to you by an employer when you finish working for their company. This document is a certificate of your income, PAYE, PRSI and USC paid since the start of the tax year up to the end of your employment.

What is on a P45?

  • Gross pay to date of leaving your job
  • Tax deducted from wages
  • Tax credits and rate band (i.e. 20% or 41%)
  • The date your employment ended
  • Number of weeks of insurable employment
  • USC paid
  • USC rate
  • PRSI contributions paid
  • PRSI class

Your P45 is needed to claim a refund of PAYE and/or USC while you’re unemployed. It’s also needed to claim Jobseeker's Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit. You’re required to give it to your new employer whenever you start a new job, too. Unless you want to get emergency taxed when you start a new job, make sure you hand over your P45 along with your bank details to the new employer. After this, it’s up to your employer to sort out the rest. They’ll send the P45 to Revenue, who will then calculate how much tax you should be paying, this will depend on how much you earn, and if you’ve received any social welfare payments while you were unemployed.

Your employer is legally required to issue you with a P45 when you finish work, so if you don’t get one, ask, and if you still don’t get one, contact your local Revenue office.

For more information look at the Revenue website and the Citizens Information Website.

Share this article -

Published August 18th2016
Last updated July 18th2018
Tags employment tax unemployment
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?