Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Who is entitled to Workplace Equipment and Adaptation Grants?

A grant for people with a disability who work in the private sector

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in employment

Share this article -

If you are a person with a disability and have been offered employment, are about to change job or become self-employed, you or your employer might be able to avail of the Workplace Equipment/Adaptation Grants. 

Who are eligible for Workplace Equipment and Adaptation Grants?

You may be eligibile for a grant towards the cost of adapting premises or equipment if you are a person with a disability who:

  • has been offered employment
  • a change of job
  • is about to become self-employed and
  • you require a more accessible workplace or adapted equipment to do your job

An adaptation grant may be given for the following things:

  • Minor building modifications such as ramps or modified toilets

  • Alarm systems with flashing lights

  • Equipment adaptation such as voice synthesizers for computers or amplifiers for telephones

A maximum grant of €6,350 is available towards the cost of adaptations to premises or equipment. This grant can be used to upgrade adapted equipment which was previously funded. It can also be used for training in the use of grant-aided equipment.

How do I qualify for this grant?

You can apply for this grant if you have been offered a job or an apprenticeship in the private sector and require adapted equipment or premises to undertake the duties required. You can also apply for this grant if you have a job in the private sector and have recently changed jobs as a result of redeployment or promotion and require adaptations to equipment or premises to undertake the duties required. You may also apply for this grant if you are about to become self-employed.

How do I apply for this grant?

You or your employer can contact your local Intreo Office to get the appliation forms, or download them online.

You, or your employer, must identify the equipment/adaptation required, justifying the need for it, and you must then submit medical evidence that due to the nature of the disability, the equipment/adaptation is needed in order to undertake the duties of the role.

  • If the total amount claimed is under €700, one quotation should be submitted with the application.
  • If the total amount claimed is over €700 but under €1,500 two quotations should be submitted.
  • If the total about claimed is over €1,500  three quotations should be submitted.

In the case of workplace premises adaptation, plans should accompany the proposals and a timescale for completing the work should be indicated. A Case Officer from the Department of Social Protection will meet the applicant to review the application. The Department will pay the grant to the applicant to cover the costs agreed.

You may also qualify for a grant to adapt your home.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Octo­ber 3rd2016
Tags health employment disability
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?