Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Entitlements for people with disabilities

Disability allowance and other financial supports for people with disabilities

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

Normally the day-to-day expenses of having a disability are higher than they are for people without disabilities. You can apply for a disability allowance (which you keep while studying) or other financial supports to help with the increased costs.

Available supports

Disability Allowance 

  • This is a means-tested payment that you can get from age 16 
  • You can qualify if you have a long-term disability that affects your ability to work
  • You may also get other social welfare benefits on top of this payment

Invalidity Pension

  • This is for people who have made social insurance payments over a certain amount of time and are likely to be unable to work long-term due to illness or disability

Blind Person's Pension

  • This is a means-tested payment for people over the age of 18 who are registered as legally blind or as having low vision 
  • In order to get this pension, you must satisfy the means test and residency requirements (i.e. you must permanently live in Ireland)
  • You will also need to be assessed by an ophthalmic surgeon in order to qualify for this payment

Blind Welfare Allowance 

  • This is a supplementary payment to people over the age of 16 who are blind or have low vision and are already getting another welfare payment 
  • The purpose of this payment is to provide extra financial support.

Disablement Benefit

  • This is a payment for people who are physically or mentally ill as a result of an accident at work or one on the way to work, or as a result of a disease they contracted because of the type of work they did
  • This may be paid as one lump sum or in the form of regular payments, depending on your injury or the type of ill health you have
  • You may also be able to get Incapacity Supplement or Constant Attendance Allowance if you are on Disability Benefit

Occupational Injuries Scheme 

  • This is a group of payments you can apply for if you're ill or disabled as a result of a work accident or an industrial illness

  • These payments include Injury Benefit, Disablement Benefit, Incapacity Supplement, Constant Attendance Allowance and Medical Care Scheme

Back to Education Allowance

  • If you are receiving a disability payment, the Back to Education Allowance allows you to attend a second or third level course while still receiving a social welfare payment
  • You may also work part-time if you have this allowance

Medical schemes 

  • There are a variety of medical entitlements for all citizens in Ireland
  • These include Medical Cards, GP Visit Cards, the Long Term Illness Scheme, the Drugs Payment Scheme and tax back on medical expenses
  • Click here for further information on these entitlements 

Employment schemes

  • There are a variety of schemes that will help you get back to work or to adapt your work environment to meet your needs 

  • Click here to read further information on these schemes. 

Other payments

Contact the Equality Authority and Enable Ireland for more information. In Northern Ireland contact the Equality and Human Rights Commission.

Share this article -

Published March 19th2013
Tags money disability grants social welfare
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?

Having a tough time and need to talk?
Text SPUNOUT to 086 1800 280 to chat anonymously with a trained volunteer

Standard text rates may apply*

Have a question and want to talk to someone? Text here to get in touch with a youth information expert