Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

How to fill out the Child Benefit form (CB 1)

Learn how to fill out this social welfare form

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

Child benefit is a payment that can be claimed by parents or guardians of children under 16 years old, or under 18 years old if the child is in full-time education, Youthreach, or has a disability. Find out more.

Download empty form

When can I apply for Child Benefit?

You should apply for Child Benefit within 12 months of:

  • The birth of your baby or
  • The month the child became a member of your family or
  • The month your family came to live in Ireland or
  • The date you started working in Ireland if your child(ren) are living in another EU country

To qualify for Child Benefit you must satisfy the Habitual Residence Condition. If you are a European Union citizen or European Economic Area citizen working in Ireland you qualify as a habitual residence. 

For a full list of requirements your child must meet for you to receive child benefits click here.

Understanding terms used on the Child Benefit form

When filling out the Child Benefit form there may be certian terms that you don't understand.

Common terms you will see on the form include: 

  • PPS number is your Personal Public Service number - you can find this by calling into your local social welfare office
  • Cohabiting- This means you are living with your partner but aren't married 
  • Financial institution - This is your bank or credit union 
  • BIC and IBAN- You will find these on your bank statement or online banking
  • EU- European Union 
  • EEA- European Economic Area

If you are having difficulty filling out your form you can contact Citizens Information by phone on 0761 07 4000 (Monday to Friday, 9am to 8pm) or visit your local Citizens Information Centre.

Child Benefits Rates 2018

Child Benefit is €140 per month for each child (paid on the first Tuesday of every month). If you are getting Child Benefit for the first time it will be paid at the start of the month following the birth of the child. It is paid for the month your child turns 18.

  • One child: €140 a month
  • Two children: €280 a month
  • Three children: 420 a month

For information on benefit rates in full click here.  

Where do I apply for child benefits?

If your baby is born in Ireland and you are not claiming for any other children, the Child Benefit Section will create a new claim and send you a partially completed claim form CB1 (pdf) for your signature and payment details.

The Child Benefit Section is part of the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection which is based in Donegal.

This form also includes information on how to claim for your new baby online. To apply online, you must have a Public Services Card and a verified MyGovID account. The baby is also given a Personal Public Service (PPS) number.

If you are sending your from back to the Child Benefit Section the address is: 

Child Benefit Section

Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection
Social Welfare Services Office
St Oliver Plunkett Road
Co. Donegal
F92 T449 

You can only contact this office by email or telephone on (074) 916 4496

For full information on applying for child benefits click here.

Share this article -

Published Novem­ber 17th2016
Tags forms social welfare social welfare scheme
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?

Having a tough time and need to talk?
Text SPUNOUT to 086 1800 280 to chat anonymously with a trained volunteer

Standard text rates may apply*

Have a question and want to talk to someone? Text here to get in touch with a youth information expert