Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

How to report instances of discrimination

If you have experienced discrimination, there are places you can turn to for help

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

If you have experienced discrimination, you are not alone. There is support out there and you should not have to deal with it by yourself.

Depending on what type of discrimination you have experienced, there are different places you can go for help.

What is discrimination?

Discrimination is when you are treated worse than other people simply because you belong to a certain group, or because you are perceived to belong to a certain group. Some people are discriminated against because of their gender, ethnicity, age, sexual orientation, religious beliefs, civil status, family status, because they have a disability, or because they are a member of the Travelling community.

What to do if you experience discrimination

I have been the victim of a hate crime

Hate crimes are crimes that are motivated by discrimination and prejudice. These might include assaults, verbal abuse, damage to your property, or distributing materials that could incite hatred.

If you experience hate crime, you should contact your local Garda Station. You can find contact details for all Garda Stations here.

  • You can also call the Crime Victims Helpline on 1850 211 407. They can provide support and information.
  • You can contact the Garda Racial & Intercultural Office on 01 6663150.
  • Every Garda Station also has an LGBT Liason Officer - you can find a list of these here.

I have been discriminated against at work or when trying to avail of goods or services

It is illegal to discriminate at work or when trying to avail of goods or services on grounds of:

  • Gender
  • Civil status (whether you are married, single, divorced, or separated)
  • Family status
  • Sexual orientation
  • Religion
  • Age
  • Disability
  • Race or ethnicity
  • Membership of the Traveller community

If you experience this kind of discrimination, you should contact Irish Human Rights and Equality Commision to receive legal advice and information. You can contact them on 01 858 9601.

If you wish to make a complaint about discrimination in the workplace, you should contact Workplace Relations. You can contact them here.

I have been discriminated against by the Gardai

If you have been discriminated against the Gardai, you should make a complaint to Garda Siochana Ombudsman Commission (GSOC). This is an independent organisation, set up to deal with complaints about the Gardai.

You can contact GSOC on 1890 600 800.

I have seen discriminatory content on TV or heard it on the radio

All news broadcasts should be fair, impartial, and objective. This means they should not discriminate against any group. If you feel that you have seen or heard a news broadcast that is not fair, impartial or objective, you should contact the Broadcast Authority of Ireland (BAI).

I have read discriminatory content in a newspaper or magazine

If you have read content in a newspaper or magazine that you feel is discriminatory, you can contact the Press Ombudsman on 1850 208 080 or

I have seen racist content on the internet

If you see racist or other illegal content on the internet, you can report it to Irish Internet Hotline. You can find their website here. If the content is posted on social media, you should post it to the social media website. You can find out how to do this on our Online Safety Hub.

I have seen racist or discriminatory graffiti

If you have seen racist or discriminatory graffiti somewhere, you should report it to your local Garda Station, and/or the Customer Services or Environmental Services section of your local authority. You can find a list of Garda stations here, and a list of local authorities here.

Share this article -

Published May 16th, 2016
Last updated July 6th, 2018
Tags discrimination racism crime
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?