Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

How to claim tax back from Revenue

If you earned below €13,000 you might be eligible to a tax refund

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

Did you know that if you earned under €13,000 in one year you weren’t entitled to pay tax? Did you notice that on your payslip you probably paid some anyway? While the Revenue Commissioner normally calculates all your tax credits and amount of tax due to be paid for you, it’s generally calculated on the assumption that you’ll be eligible to pay the minimum amount per year. This means, Revenue could potentially owe you money!

Don’t worry, if you think you might have overpaid tax in 2017, that’s fine – you could still be able to get it back. The easiest way to do anything tax-related, is to set yourself up for Revenue Self Service. This is kind of a long process in order to make sure your details are secure.

  • The first thing that will happen is Revenue will post you out a password. You then use this to sign up online.
  • You’ll need your PPS number too, so make sure you have this ready. Without it, you can’t do anything.
  • Once you’re into the self-service part of the website you can then go into your profile and see how much you’ve earned, how much tax you’ve paid, and what your tax credits are. Then, there is an option to “Request a P21 balancing statement”. This is a document that calculates all the above, and then will decide whether you’ve overpaid or underpaid tax.
  • If you’ve paid too much tax, Revenue will refund you. Either directly into your bank account (if you’ve put your details online), or will post a cheque out to you.
  • Be aware that if you’ve not paid enough tax, Revenue will deduct it from your tax credits so you might end up owing them money.

You must claim a tax refund within 4 years of the end of the year in which the overpayment arose or you will not get a refund.


For more information go to the Citizens Information Website and the Revenue website.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published August 23rd2016
Last updated March 22nd2018
Tags money tax finance
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?