How will the Leaving Cert 2021 work?
Leaving Cert students will have the option of a calculated grade, a written exam or both in each subject
If you are a Leaving Cert 2021 student you will have the choice to take the written examination in a subject, receive a calculated grade or do both. All students will have to opt in to pick which system they want to do in every subject. For example, this means that you can choose to take a calculated grade for your English exam, but sit the exam for your Maths. You can also choose to sit the Maths exam but also receive a calculated grade in it.
Leaving Cert 2021
Calculated grades will be given to students at the same time as the examination results. The decision was made to give students the choice because the government has said that it would be unfair to make students sit exams when a large amount of their time in senior cycle has been negatively impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic.
Leaving Cert practical exams 2021
If you choose to take the written exams you will also have to take your oral and practical exams where possible. Oral exams will be held during the Easter break or shortly after that time. If you need to submit course work as part of the examination in a subject you will also be given extra time to complete this work.
In some subjects it will not be possible for the practical exams to go ahead due to COVID-19. More details about this should be given to schools in the coming weeks.
You will not have to do oral or practical exams if you choose to receive calculated grades instead.
Key information about the Leaving Cert 2021
- Students will have the option to receive a calculated grade, sit a written exam or both in each subject
- Calculated grades will be given to students at the same time as the examination results
- The Leaving Certificate exams will run in the normal time of June subject to public health advice
- Non-exam assessments, such as orals and practicals will also go ahead this year, but with certain aspects not running due to COVID-19
- The calculated grades will be overseen by the State Examination Commission
We will keep you updated with more details on the Leaving Cert 2021 as they are announced.
Need more information?
Would you like more information? Maybe you would like to talk through your own situation? Get in touch through our online chat system for 16 to 25 year olds - Monday to Friday 4pm to 8pm.
Feeling overwhelmed or want to talk to someone right now?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
If you are a customer of the 48 network or cannot get through using the ‘50808’ short code please text HELLO to 086 1800 280 (standard message rates may apply). Some smaller networks do not support short codes like ‘50808’.