Sam’s vegan smoky tomato chickpeas recipe
Looking to try something new but low on ingredients in your press? This recipe might be the answer
This is an opinion of a young person and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of SpunOut.ie. It is one person's experience and may be different for you. If you'd like to write something for SpunOut.ie please contact email@example.com.
There’s something very comforting about beans (or legumes I guess) at breakfast time and these vegan smoky tomato chickpeas are miles better than your average tin of Heinz. Really simple and probably using ingredients that you have lying around the house anyway. This recipe is a great one to use up those last few bits left before the Big Shop and versatile enough that you can substitute in and out what you have.
If you have the time, I would really recommend making your own curry powder for these chickpeas, you will honestly never look back. It is so much better than shop bought and so long as you have a spice or coffee grinder, it is super simple to make. Feel free to add in other beans, or any other vegetables that you have leftover. It makes a really great base for whatever you have in the fridge on a lazy Sunday morning.
- Prepation time: 10 minutes
- Cook time: 10 minutes
- Serves: 3 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp curry powder (Homemade is best, you can find the recipe here)
- 1 vegetable stock cube
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 1 tin chickpeas drained
- Heat the olive oil in a saucepan over a medium heat.
- Add the onion and garlic and gently fry for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the smoked paprika and curry powder and stir until combined.
- Add the stock cube, tomatoes and chickpeas and stir.
- Reduce to a medium-low heat and gently bubble for 10 minutes. Add a small amount of water if needed.
- Take off the heat and serve immediately.