Student Assistance Fund
Are you having financial difficulties while at college?
The Student Assistance Fund provides financial assistance for full-time higher education students who are having money problems while attending college.
Students can apply for Student Assistance to help them with either temporary or on-going financial difficulties. The SAF provides a further source of funding for higher education students in addition to the Student Grant.
Where to apply?
Students in need of financial support can apply in the college for assistance under the fund.
Am I Eligible?
In order to be eligible to apply for student assistance, you must be registered on a full-time undergraduate or postgraduate course of not less than one year’s duration in a participating college.
- Unlike the student grant, you cannot be considered for Student Assistance prior to registering in a participating college.
- The Student Assistance Fund is not available in further education/PLC colleges.
- Students participating in access or foundation courses, which do not lead to an undergraduate qualification, are not eligible to apply for Student Assistance.
- Students participating in part-time courses are not eligible to apply for Student Assistance.
Ineligible Expenses for Student Assistance
Students requiring financial assistance to help with tuition fees or registration fees cannot be considered under the Student Assistance Fund.
- All participating colleges have an application form, which must be completed by students in the college they are attending for the assistance fund.
- Applicants may be required to attend a meeting with a member of the college staff to discuss the application. You may also be required to provide documentation to verify details of the income and outgoings provided in the application.
- Due to demand for Student Assistance, participating colleges are not able to approve all applications they receive and may prioritise applicants who are in receipt of a maintenance grant, this being an indicator of limited means.
Each participating college or institution have their own application process for the Student Assistance Fund, by clicking the links below you can check out their individual websites for more info.