Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size
Young person looking over their should wearing a rainbow sccarf

How do I apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate?

Follow these steps to have your gender legally recognised

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

This is a new process, and it’s possible that new changes to it will be announced as time goes on. This information is correct as of September 17th

As of September 2015, it is now possible for transgender people to have their gender legally recognised in Ireland.

This means that if you were assigned male at birth, but now identify as female, it is possible to have your gender legally recognised as female. Likewise, if you were assigned female at birth, but now identify as male, it is possible to have your gender legally recognised as male.

This means you will be fully and legally recognised as your correct gender. Nice one!

Can anyone apply to have their gender identity recognised?

Anyone over the age of 18 can have their gender identity legally recognised.

It is also possible for 16 and 17 year olds to have their gender identity legally recognised, but there is a different, longer process involved in this.

If you are under 16, it is not possible to have your gender recognised.

I’m 18 or over. How do I apply for gender recognition?

Find these documents

First off, there’s a few things you’ll need, including:

  • Your Birth Certificate or Adoption Certificate
  • Your PPS number - which you can find here.
  • Proof of residency in Ireland, if you were not born in Ireland
  • The Deed Poll, if you have had your name changed by Deed Poll.

If you’ve already had your correct gender identity recognised in another country and want to have that recognition validated here, get a copy of that decision, order or certificate too.

Fill out this form - with a witness

Next, you need to fill out this form and sign it in the presence of any one of the following people:

You must sign it in the presence of one of those people, or it will not be valid.

Send it off!

Finally, send the completed form, as well as the documents listed above, to:

G. Mc Gourty/M. Dwyer/K. Cornyn

Client Identity Services

Department of Social Protection

Shannon Lodge


Co Leitrim

N41 KD81

I’m 16 or 17. How do I apply for gender recognition?

If you are 16 or 17 and want to apply for gender recognition, you must follow the process described above. But before this, you must get a Court Order from the Circuit Family Court. For more information on how to do this, and what forms you'll need, visit the website here, and scroll down to "Gender Recognition Act 2015".

To do this, you will need the support of your parent or guardian.

I have a question or need more help

If you have a question, you can contact one of the following people:

  • Geraldine Mc Gourty 071 9672659
  • Mary Dwyer 071 9672588
  • Kathleen Cornyn 071 9672582.
Share this article -

Published September 17th, 2015
Last updated April 5th, 2016
Tags transgender lgbt gender identity
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?