Applying for Child Benefit

Your questions on Child Benefit answered

Written by spunout


All parents and guardians of children are entitled to claim Child Benefit in Ireland. This monthly payment is available to all parents and guardians with children under 16.

Learn more about social welfare supports for parents.

What is Child Benefit?

Child Benefit is a social welfare payment that can be claimed by parents or guardians of children under the age of 16. It is also paid for children under 18 if the child is in full-time education, Youthreach or has a disability and cannot support themselves. 

How much will I receive with Child Benefit?

Child Benefit is €140 monthly per child. If you have twins, it is paid at one and a half times the normal rate.

Child Benefit is not taxable and you can claim it no matter what other sources of income you have.

How do I apply for Child Benefit?

If your baby is born in Ireland, the Department of Social Protection will begin the Child Benefit claim automatically on your behalf once you register the birth of your baby. They will send you a form to fill out, with all the instructions you need on it. Once approved, you will be able to collect the payment at your local post office every month. 

If your child was not born in Ireland, or if you did not register their birth within three months, you must fill in Child Benefit (form CB1) within 12 months of arriving in Ireland. Those who are not EU or EEA citizens must meet the habitual residence condition to qualify for Child Benefit in Ireland.

If your child is 16 or 17 and is in full-time education, Youthreach or has a disability and cannot support themselves, you can receive Child Benefit by filling in Child Benefit (form CB2). This form must be stamped by one of the following:

  • The school or college if your child is in full-time education
  • The training organisation if your child is in full-time training
  • A doctor if your child has a disability and is unable to financially support themselves

What happens to my Child Benefit if my circumstances change?

It is important that you write to the Department of Social Protection to let them know if there are any of the following changes in your circumstances:

  • You change address
  • Your child is no longer in your care
  • You have changed post office or bank
  • You or your child leaves the country

Learn more about Child Benefit.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Our work is supported by