Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Exceptional Need payment available during COVID-19 pandemic

This is a payment to help meet essential needs which a person cannot pay out of their income

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in news

Share this article -

An Exceptional Needs Payment is a single payment from the government to help meet an essential, once-off need, which a person could not reasonably be expected to meet out of their weekly income.

For example, the payment can be for bedding or cooking utensils for someone setting up a home for the first time, visiting relatives in hospital or prison, funeral costs or for clothing in exceptional circumstances.

How much will I get as an exceptional payment? 

The amount of payment you get will depend on a means test and the type of assistance you need.

How can I apply?

You may be eligible for an Exceptional Needs Payment if:

  • You are living in the State (Ireland)
  • You satisfy a means test. All capital (money) and property (except your home) is assessed in the means test

You won't normally be eligible if you:

  • Have access to alternative income or finances to meet the need
  • Are in full-time work (30 hours or more per week)
  • Are in full-time education
  • Are involved in a trade dispute or on strike. However, you may apply for an Exceptional Needs Payment for your dependent adult or dependent child

Means test

In a means test, the Department of Employment Affairs and Social Protection reviews all your sources of income. Sometimes a certain amount of income or income from particular sources is not taken into account and these are often referred to as income disregards. However, in the means test for an Exceptional Needs Payment, all capital (money) and property (except your home) is taken into account and assessed as means.

These payments are not subject to the Habitual Residence Condition (HRC) assessment. The payment can be applied for through your local Intreo Office. More information is available here.

Share this article -

Published March 28th2020
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?