Podcast submission guidelines for SpunOut.ie
Interested in creating podcasts for SpunOut.ie? This is how you get started
This is an opinion of a young person and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of SpunOut.ie. It is one person's experience and may be different for you. If you'd like to write something for SpunOut.ie please contact email@example.com.
Just like written articles, podcasts can focus on different topics and can be a variety of lengths and styles. There are no rights or wrongs to podcasts and you don’t need to be a professional to put together a podcast for SpunOut.ie. The pointers and tips below will help you with the basics of putting together your podcasts.
Who can submit content?
- We accept content from anyone aged 16-25 living in Ireland
- What content is SpunOut looking for?
- We welcome a wide variety of opinions on any topics that interest you and your peers
Before you get started, search on SpunOut.ie to see whether the topics you plan to create content about are already covered. Can you put a different slant on the topic? Do you have a different experience of the topic? If so, we’d love to hear about it from your perspective.
Check out our article submission guidelines where you will see about other practicalities for submitting content.
Before you get started, it is important to put together a plan for your podcast. Map out what you want your podcast to say, and what sound and feel you would like for the podcast. Knowing in advance what you’re looking for will save a lot of time when it comes to the actual recording.
What to consider
There’s a few points to keep in mind while recording and editing a podcast in order for it to be able to go up on the SpunOut.ie website:
Record interviews in a quiet place so that no unwanted noise gets onto the audio track. It’s (almost) impossible to remove background noise in post-production
Did they say yes?
Make sure you have permission to record at the location you choose. You also need permission from the people who you’re recording; if they’re under 18 you’ll need parental consent. SpunOut.ie have consent form templates you can use. Get the consent form templates from firstname.lastname@example.org before you start recording. Make sure to send these back with your podcast as we’ll only be able to post a podcast which includes interviews if we have the consent forms.
Different topics will allow for different length podcasts,so don’t worry about specific lengths. SpunOut.ie staff can advise you on what would be best for your chosen topic.
Editing is just as important as recording the podcast. During editing you can fix audio issues, cut out parts that don’t sound good, and make the podcast flow nicely.
You don’t need to have fancy editing software to edit a podcast! If you already have software, that’s fantastic, but if you need to get your hands on free software, Audacity is a great one to pick.
FAQs from our contributors
I’m not that comfortable making podcasts. Can anyone help?
- Yes, email email@example.com if you need help with your content
I’m not sure if the podcast is ready to be posted on the website. Help!
- Send your podcast (even if it in a rough draft) to firstname.lastname@example.org and she can work with you to finish your podcast
I’ve never created a podcast for SpunOut.ie before, can I start now?
- Yes, we accept content for anyone aged 16-25 in Ireland whether or not you have created content for SpunOut.ie before
Do you accept content at any time of the year?
- Yes, you can send through content at any time during the year
Are there other ways to get involved with SpunOut.ie?
- Yes, get in touch with email@example.com to learn more about other ways you can volunteer
Does the topic need to be approved by SpunOut first?
- Nope, you’re free to create a podcast about whatever topic you want as long as it is in line with our content policy (see the practicalities section here)
- However, if you'd like to discuss the topic or your storyboard before you get started, email firstname.lastname@example.org to discuss
Will all articles/videos/podcasts etc. be accepted and posted on SpunOut.ie?
- We aim to post any content we receive as long as it meets the above criteria and is in line with our editorial policy. We will let you know if there is a reason we cannot post your contribution