Sam's slow cooked vegan chilli recipe
This is a great recipe when you've a busy day ahead of you
This is an opinion of a young person and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of SpunOut.ie. It is one person's experience and may be different for you. If you'd like to write something for SpunOut.ie please contact email@example.com.
I know I probably haven’t convinced everyone to invest in a slow cooker just yet so have included two versions of this recipe - both for slow cooker and without. It works great either way and is super easy and using ingredients that you should be easily able to get.
There are few things more satisfying than throwing some raw ingredients into the slow cooker and waking up to actual real food. Most of my curry recipes, or my vegan spaghetti bolognese, can be really easily adapted for slow cooker. This vegan chilli is great either way and so tasty either on its own or as some vegan nachos.
- Preparation time: 20 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- Serves: 4 people
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tin kidney beans
- 1/2 tin black eye/cannelini/butter beans (doesn't really matter so long as it's white bean)
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1 stock cube
- 400 ml boiling water
- 2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 50 grams dried soya mince
- 1/2 tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp coriander
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
Instructions - If not using a slow cooker
- Mix together the the nutritional yeast, turmeric, smoked paprika, cumin, coriander, chilli powder in a bowl.
- Put a pan on medium heat and add the olive oil.
- Add to onion and garlic the pan.
- Cook for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Drain the kidney beans and whatever white beans you're using and add to the pan along with bowl of spices and yeast.
- Add the tinned tomatoes and cook for 5 minutes on a low heat.
- Add the stock cube to a bowl with the boiling water and stir until fully dissolved. Add to the pan along with the dried soy mince.
- Cover and cook on a low heat for 45 minutes.
- Serve with rice.
Instructions - If using a slow cooker
- Put a pan on medium head and add the olive oil.
- Cook the onions and garlic for 3-4 minutes until soft.
- Add the onions and garlic, along with all of the other ingredients, to the slow cooker.
- Cook on medium for 6-7 hours or overnight on low.