Help us reach even more young people
- Are you interested in helping to shape Ireland’s youth information website?
- Do you have stories and opinions that you think will inspire, support, educate and engage young people across Ireland?
- Do you have a passion for writing, making videos/podcasts or working with your peers on important issues?
- Are you aged 16-25 and living in Ireland?
If you’ve answered yes to any of the above, volunteering with SpunOut is for you!
SpunOut.ie is a not-for-profit youth information website by young people, for young people. We aim to provide a platform for the views, experiences and opinions of young people across Ireland. The volunteering opportunities focus on skills, experiences and topical issues that interest you and that you think will help and support your peers. We will support you with feedback, training and access to opportunities. Fill in the below forms and our volunteer skills development officer Heather Barry will be in touch.
There are a number of ways you can volunteer with SpunOut.ie depending on your interests. Check out our volunteering options below.
To ensure SpunOut.ie represents the views, experiences and opinions of young people across Ireland, volunteers submit articles, videos or podcasts, or create fact sheets to be posted on SpunOut.ie and on our social media. The content can be about any topic that interests you and that you think will interest your peers.
- Content can be sent in at any time of the year
- Check out our submission guidelines for more information on written articles
- Visit our Opinion section to see what others have submitted
- Looking for ideas? Check out our 2018 content call out.
To ensure all of our content is relevant and engaging for young people, we’re looking for some young people to proofread our content to ensure it’s clear, understandable and engaging. Sign up to be a proofreader and we’ll send you some fact sheets each month for your review and input. You do not need any prior knowledge about the topics.
When we say “SpunOut.ie is by young people, for young people” we mean it! The Action Panels’ role is to provide strategic leadership to SpunOut.ie about the needs of young people in their area and generate solutions and ideas for how to respond to the ever-challenging information needs of young people.
- There are five Regional Action Panels (South, West, North-west, East-Midlands and Dublin) and the National Action Panel.
- The Panels meet four times per year.
- There are roughly 35 people per panel and all opinions and ideas are heard and respected.
- Check out Rachel and Katie’s experiences of being on SpunOut.ie’s Action Panel.
Other volunteering options
We’re always looking for young people who are interested in:
- helping at events,
- running fundraisers
- helping our partners with radio interviews or opinions for newspaper articles.
What do you get in return for volunteering?
- Support and advice from SpunOut.ie staff on your written articles, videos or podcasts.
- We are currently developing face-to-face, online and live training sessions for all SpunOut.ie volunteers. These sessions will focus on developing your skills, knowledge and confidence so you gain useful and practical skills through your volunteering experience.
We offer work experience and placement opportunities to young people aged 16 to 25. It can be hard to get placements that really help us learn and grow. In SpunOut.ie we offer placements to:
- Transition Year students.
- College students who specialise in journalism, youth work or communication and marketing only.
- International students.
- Graduates and those who are unemployed with interests/qualifications in journalism, youth work or communication/marketing.
We offer placements for those with specific interests and experience so as to ensure that both the individual and organisation get the most out of our time together. Informal interviews will be carried out with those interested. Unfortunately it’s not possible to offer a placement to everyone who contacts us.
Placements come with full supervision, a learning development plan and other great training opportunities.
Subject matter experts
A cornerstone of SpunOut.ie’s mission is to ensure that all content we publish is factually accurate, in line with best practice, relevant to our audience, and sensitive to the most correct and respectful language on any given issue. To assist us in making sure this part of our mission is fulfilled, SpunOut.ie engages the input of people and organisations who have subject matter expertise to vet and proof our content for accuracy and relevance.
If you are interested in becoming a voluntary subject matter expert for SpunOut.ie, please email us at [email protected].
Fundraise for Spunout.ie
Organising an event or running a race is the perfect way to raise funds and awareness about SpunOut.ie in a fun and engaging way that suits you. The easiest way to collect funds is by creating a fundraising page for SpunOut.ie by using JustGiving.com.
Over half of Irish young people say they look to online sources for advice before talking to someone about a problem. SpunOut.ie helps young people through the most difficult of problems, including mental health and addiction.
Around 80,000 Irish young people come to SpunOut.ie each month for advice and support.
We’re always looking for volunteers to participate in mini-marathons, full marathons and other challenge events to raise funds to support the young people we work with. Get in touch at [email protected] or sign up at JustGiving.com