What is the Action Panel?SpunOut.ie’s core philosophy is “by young people, for young people”, and the SpunOut.ie Youth Action Panel is a fundamental part of this. The Action Panel provides direction, insight and solutions to the organisation to ensure Spunout.ie is meeting the real needs of young people. The importance of the Action Panel is shown in its incorporation into our constitutional structures: Action Panel members are asked to nominate two members of the Board of Directors. The Action Panel has grown significantly since 2018, when it went from a single group of young people to four, and later five Regional Action Panels. In 2020, dedicated national Action Panels were founded for the Traveller and BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) communities.
What does the Action Panels do?Members of the Action Panel are responsible for the following:
- Offering opinion and creating content for the website
- Working on gathering momentum for SpunOut.ie campaigns and events while promoting SpunOut.ie locally
- Acting as ambassadors for SpunOut.ie
- Being part of SpunOut.ie campaigns and empowering other young people through these campaigns
- Assisting and representing SpunOut.ie at festivals and events
- Consulting on branding decisions
- Being involved in lobbying, engaging with public representatives and talking to other media and organisations
- Ensuring a constant and active presence representing young people on the SpunOut.ie Board of Directors
- Taking part in regular Zoom calls with the Head of Engagement and Participation
Action Panel StructureThe Action Panel is made up of five Regional Action Panels, one Traveller Action Panel and one BAME Action Panel. Each of these panels meets three times a year, and elects members of the National Panel, which itself meets twice a year. We also have a yearly Town Hall event which brings together Action Panel members from all across the country for a day of staff presentations and strategic discussions. There are currently eight Action Panels, five regional and three national:
- The South West Panel: Cork, Limerick, Clare and Kerry.
- The West / North West Panel: Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, and Donegal.
- The South East Panel: Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford.
- The East / Midlands Panel: Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Wicklow, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Monaghan, Longford and Cavan
- Dublin: Dublin city and county
- BAME Action Panel: National, open to all young people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities.
- The Traveller Action Panel: Nationwide, open to all young people from the Travelling Community
- National Panel: National
Action Panel Training ProgrammeOne of our goals for Action Panel members is to ensure that they gain meaningful experience from their participation. Since 2019, Action Panel members have themselves chosen the topics for an annual Training Programme which has included:
- Personal and Professional Development
- Public Speaking and Storytelling
- Online Journalism
- Advocacy and Activism
- Group Facilitation
- Personal and professional development
- Advocacy and activism
- Inclusivity and diversity awareness
- Interview prep and employability
Feedback from Action Panel Members
“SpunOut is an amazing organisation. I love getting involved in matters that concern us young people, in a relaxed & informal environment, with amazing diverse friends!” – Blezzing, Action Panel Member
“From the fantastic training we receive and the countless opportunities to get outside my comfort zone, to learning from my peers and contributing content to the website, my experience with the Action Panel has been truly incredible. An eye opener to the fierce power that young people hold on Ireland” – Eimer, Action Panel Member
“Since joining the SpunOut.ie Action Panel, it has opened up a world of new experiences for me, has aided my personal growth, and has helped me improve as a person” – Adam, Action Panel Member