What is the Action Panel?
spunout’s core philosophy is “by young people, for young people”, and the spunout Action Panel is a fundamental part of this.
The Action Panel provides direction, insight and solutions to the organisation to ensure spunout is meeting the real needs of young people. The importance of the Action Panel is shown in its incorporation into our constitutional structures: Action Panel members are asked to nominate two members of the Board of Directors.
The Action Panel has grown significantly since 2018, when it went from a single group of young people to four, and later five Regional Action Panels and a panel for young people from BAME (Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic) communities.
What do Action Panels do?
Members of the Action Panel are responsible for the following:
- Offering opinion and creating content for the website
- Working on gathering momentum for spunout campaigns and events while promoting spunout locally
- Acting as ambassadors for spunout
- Being part of spunout campaigns and empowering other young people through these campaigns
- Assisting and representing spunout at festivals and events
- Consulting on branding decisions
- Being involved in lobbying, engaging with public representatives and talking to other media and organisations
- Ensuring a constant and active presence representing young people on the spunout Board of Directors
- Taking part in regular Zoom calls with spunout staff
Action Panel Structure
The Action Panel is made up of five Regional Action Panels, and one BAME Action Panel. Each of these panels meets three times a year, and elects members of the National Panel, which itself meets twice a year.
We also have a yearly Town Hall event which brings together Action Panel members and volunteers from all across the country for a day of connection and fun with the entire spunout community, volunteers, board and staff.
There are currently seven Action Panels, five regional and two national:
- The South West Panel: Cork, Limerick, Clare and Kerry.
- The West / North West Panel: Galway, Mayo, Roscommon, Sligo, Leitrim, and Donegal.
- The South East Panel: Carlow, Kilkenny, Tipperary, Waterford and Wexford.
- The East / Midlands Panel: Laois, Offaly, Kildare, Wicklow, Louth, Meath, Westmeath, Monaghan, Longford and Cavan
- Dublin: Dublin city and county
- BAME Action Panel: National, open to all young people from Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic communities.
- National Panel: National
Action Panel Training Programme
One of our goals for Action Panel members is to ensure that they gain meaningful experience from their participation. Action Panel members get to choose the topics for an annual Training Programme which has included:
- Personal and Professional Development
- Public Speaking and Storytelling
- Online Journalism
- Advocacy and Activism
- Group Facilitation
- Personal and professional development
- Advocacy and activism
- Inclusivity and diversity awareness
- Interview prep and employability
Feedback from Action Panel Members
“spunout is an amazing organisation. I love getting involved in matters that concern us young people, in a relaxed & informal environment, with amazing diverse friends!” – Blezzing, Action Panel Member
“spunout have created an amazing space where I not only feel comfortable and safe, but most importantly heard. Being on the Action Panel has taught me so much about myself. It has relighted my motivation to make a change.” – Diarmuid, Action Panel Member
“From the fantastic training we receive and the countless opportunities to get outside my comfort zone, to learning from my peers and contributing content to the website, my experience with the Action Panel has been truly incredible. An eye opener to the fierce power that young people hold on Ireland” – Eimer, Action Panel Member
Being on the North West Action Panel has been an incredible experience so far; I’ve got to meet so many other young people, with a passion for activism and each with their own unique ideas and insights to bring to the table. We’ve been able to talk about everything under the sun, gather some great content and have the craic while we’re at it. Being involved has opened my eyes to a whole world of activism that I never knew about in rural East Galway. From meet ups in Galway and Dublin, to opportunities to sit on the National Youth Assembly, it has been an invaluable opportunity and I’ve gained a wealth of knowledge and a network of friends across the country! – Peter, Action Panel Member
Join the spunout Action Panel
The Action Panel helps to lead spunout by sharing their thoughts and experiences and letting us know what matters to them. Action Panel members (aged 16-25) help us to make sure we can respond to the real information needs of young people in Ireland.
We are looking for more young people like you to help lead Ireland’s Youth Information Website.