Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Back To Education Allowance

Did you miss out on the chance to finish your Leaving Cert or go to college when you were younger?

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

If you're over 21 and on the dole, are a single parent, or have a disability, then BTEA (Back To Education Allowance) could be for you. Think of it… a chance to enjoy student life for a few years, and open the door to a whole new world of opportunities.

The BTEA is an educational opportunities scheme for unemployed people, lone parents, and people with disabilities who are receiving benefit payments from the Department of Social Protection.

What's available?

There are two study options available, the Second Level option and the Third Level option. The main conditions are that the course you apply for, whether it is a degree in Social Studies or the Junior Certificate, must be full-time and approved by the relevant education bodies.

To qualify for a Back to Education Allowance you must be:

At least age 21 (24 for an approved post graduate qualification) AND getting one of the following social welfare payments for at least three months immediately before going for the Second Level option or nine months immediately before going for the Third Level option.

Time spent on a variety of training schemes, such as FÁS/SOLAS schemes and JobBridge may count towards the qualifying period. Time spent in prison and on the YouthReach programme may count also.

If you are aged between 18-20 and have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or One Parent Family Payment for three months (Second Level option) or nine months (Third Level option) and have been out of the formal education system for two years, you may also qualify for the BTEA.

If you are aged 18 or over (over 24 for the post graduate option) and getting Blind Pension, Disability Allowance, Invalidity Pension or Incapacity Supplement for the required period (3 or 9 months) you may also qualify. Finally, you may get the Cost of Education Allowance if you are getting unemployment or illness credits. This is a one-off payment made at the start of the year to help with buying textbooks etc.

How do I get started?

  • First off, contact your local school or college and ask for details of the courses available. Remember you can also get a copy of the CAO forms by visiting your local youth information centre. They can help you fill out any forms and give you practical advice if you need it. You can find more information about filling out the forms here.
  • It's your responsibility to get a place on the course of your choice. Don't leave it to the last few days, as panic is a recipe for bad decisions on your future. If you want to start a course in September of any given year then get on the case in January and get a plan together.
  • Remember, many college courses have places reserved for mature students (23+). These are often awarded on the basis of a personal interview so don't be put off applying for a course you have a real interest in. Get advice from your local youth centre. You may be able to contact colleges/universities from their office.
  • When you have been accepted on a course, you should visit your local Intreo or Social Welfare Office. You will then be required to fill out a BTE 1 Form.

How is the BTEA paid?

  • You will be paid a BTEA allowance equal to your previous social protection payment. For participants who were previously in receipt of an age-related reduced rate Jobseeker's payment, a standard maximum rate of €160 per week will apply.
  • BTEA is not an unemployment payment and participants are not required to sign on. You therefore have no excuses to miss classes or lectures, so set that alarm clock!

What about the cost of books and Third Level fees?

If you are getting BTEA and have a dependent child, then you can recieve an annual Cost of Education Allowance of €500.

Am I entitled to any additional benefits?

You may also keep secondary benefits you already have e.g. Christmas bonus or rent supplement. You have to apply for a rent supplement from the Health Board in the area you will be studying in. This will only cover part of your rent, but you are also entitled to take up part time employment while at college.

Share this article -

Published March 7th, 2013
Last updated February 21st, 2018
Tags education school college back to education social welfare social welfare scheme
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?