Now I don’t know about you, but my winter morning feels incomplete if I do not consume porridge in some way. The warm bowl of goodness keeps me satisfied for a long time. It’s easy to make and you can add plenty of different ingredients to make so many different creations.
A word of advice I would have is to experiment in the kitchen with different flavours and dishes. I doubt will never get bored of porridge.
This recipe is just one way I prep my oats and I hope to share some more with you! I like to soak mine overnight to speed up the amount of time used in the morning, but you can totally make these in the morning if time allows.
- ¾ cup oats
- 1 cup of milk of choice
- ⅓ cup of raisins
- ½-1 full carrot grated (depends on your taste)
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed or chia seeds
- ½ teaspoon of cinnamon.
- If you have these ingredients in a jar or container from the night before you can head straight to the microwave and pop them in for one minute.
- Give them a stir and another 1-2 minutes depending on the thickness you like.
- If you like heating them on the stove, you can empty your jar or container into a pot. I sometimes add a little extra water because the oats can soak up a lot overnight.
- If you’re making this from stratch right here and now you can add all the ingredients to the hob.
- Turn your heat on high.
- Start to stir the oats and when you see little bubbles, turn the heat to medium still stirring to ensure it’s not burning.
- I love thick porridge, so I tend to put the heat to low and still mix for another 2/3 minutes.
- Stop whenever you have reached your desired consistency and the oats have heated through.
There are plenty of different toppings you can add to it. Here are my favourites:
- Glenisk Greek yoghurt for a creamy protein hit
- Meridian smooth peanut butter or any nut butter would be a lovely compliment
- Dash of cinnamon
I hope you enjoy and check out my blog for other recipes: FindingUAgain