How to make chicken biryani
Oscar shares this delicious recipe made with fairtrade ingredients. Why not give it a try this evening?
About this dish
The idea behind my recipe is a link to my South African heritage. My father's family is from Durban, South Africa. My Aunty Alice makes many Biryani dishes. She thought me and my sister how to make the dish. I wanted to share it now as part of the Eco-UNESCO Fairtrade fortnight.
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 30 minutes
- 300g Organic white basmati rice
- 25g Butter
- 1 large Organic brown onion
- 1tsp Garam Masala
- 1tsp Fairtrade turmeric
- 1/2tsp Fairtrade cinnamon
- 500g Free-range chicken diced
- 4tbsp Curry paste
- 850ml Organic chicken stock
- Pinch coriander - for serving
- Soak 300g rice in warm water, then wash in cold water until water runs clear.
- Heat butter in saucepan and cook onions and cinnamon.
- Add turmeric, chicken, and curry paste. Cook fully.
- Slowly stir the rice into the pan.
- Add chicken stock and stir fully. Put a lid on the pan.
- Bring to the boil for five minutes.
- Stir and turn down the heat to medium and cook for five minutes.
- Stir and turn down the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Stir occasionally so the rice does not stick to the pan.
- Once the stock has been absorbed, stir fully and turn off the heat. Let it sit for 10 minutes with lid on the pan.
- Serve with coriander