How do I get a passport?
All you need to know to get a passport as an Irish citizen
A passport is one of the most important and necessary legal documents. A passport allows you to access international borders with documentation of your whereabouts in the world. Every country has different immigration policies, but the Irish passport allows you to verify your identity and is internationally recognized. So, where do you begin the process in obtaining one of these important documents? We have you covered, follow rules and guidelines and you'll be traveling internationally soon enough.
Getting an Irish Passport
Applying for your first passport
If you are applying for your first passport you cannot do this online or download the application online. If you are living in Ireland it is recommended you apply using Passport Express, this process normally takes 15 working days.
Passport Express is a service which allows you to apply for your passport through the Post Office.
You can do this by following these simple instructions:
- Pick up a passport application form at any Post Office or Garda Station
- Fill out the form
- The Post Office will give you a special Passport Express Envelope
- Hand the form, all relevant documentation, passport photos and signatures back to the Post Office in the envelope
- Pay with debit card or cash
- Passport Express costs €9.50 for a single application
Documentation needed to apply for a passport
- Four passport photographs
- 2 of the photos must be signed by a witness (you will receive instructions about this on the application)
- Certified copy of photographic ID Proof of use of name
- A Public Service Card is the only form of ID accepted for first time applicants
- Proof of use of name
- For example, payslip, bank statement or social welfare receipts
- Proof of address
- For example, utility bill, official correspondence from an Irish State agency (internet printouts are accepted if stamped by the issuing authority)
- Application fee
Renewing your passport online
You can renew your passport online here.
When renewing your passport online you need to provide a digital photo of yourself.
- Standard 10-year, 34-page passport (aged 18 and over): €80
- Large 10-year 66-page passport (aged 18 and over): €110
- 5-year passport (aged under 18 years): €30
EU Passport Card
If you’re interested in an easier and smaller form of identification that has similar benefits as the passport, a passport card can be purchased for €35. The passport card allows you to travel anywhere in the EU/EAA and Switzerland. You can apply if you’re an Irish citizen over the age of 18 with a valid passport and applications can be done online here.
The EU Passport Card is only valid for a maximum of five years or the remaining validity of your regular passport.
When applying for an EU Passport card you will need:
- Your current passport book
- Your photograph
- A debit or credit card
When you submit your your application online you will be given an 11-digit application number. You can then track your application process on the Department's website using your application number.
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.