Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

How do I apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate?

Follow these steps to have your gender legally recognised

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in lgbti

Share this article -

The Gender Recognition Act allows all individuals over the age of 18 to self-declare their own gender identity. If you are 16 or 17 you can also be legally recognised but will have to go through a different process. 

In self-declaring your own gender identity it means that if you were assigned male at birth, but now identify as female, you can have your gender legally recognised as female. Likewise, if you were assigned female at birth, but now identify as male, it is possible to have your gender legally recognised as male.

The act means you will be fully and legally recognised as your correct gender. 

Can anyone apply to have their gender identity recognised?

Anyone over the age of 18 can have their gender identity legally recognised.

It is also possible for 16 and 17 year olds to have their gender identity legally recognised, but there is a different, longer process involved in this.

If you are under 16, it is not possible to have your gender recognised.

I’m 18 or over. How do I apply for gender recognition?

First you will need:

  • Your Birth Certificate or Adoption Certificate
  • Your PPS number - which you can find here
  • Proof of residency in Ireland, if you were not born in Ireland
  • The Deed Poll, if you have had your name changed by Deed Poll

If you’ve already had your correct gender identity recognised in another country and want to have that recognition validated here, get a copy of that decision, order or certificate too.

Fill out this form - with a witness

Next, you need to fill out a Gender Recognition Certificate 1 (GRC1) application. You can download your GRC1 here.

Then you need to sign it in the presence of any one of the following people:

You must sign it in the presence of one of those people, or it will not be valid.

Send it off

Finally, send the completed form, as well as the documents listed above to:

Client Identity Services

Department of Social Protection

Shannon Lodge


Co Leitrim

N41 KD81

I’m 16 or 17. How do I apply for gender recognition?

If you are 16 or 17 and want to apply for gender recognition, you must follow the process described above. But before this, you must get a Court Order from the Circuit Family Court. 

  • Click here for forms to appy to the Circuit Family Court
  • Sittings of the Circuit Court can be found here 

You will need the support of your parent or guardian. Consent forms can be found here

I have a question or need more help

If you have a question you can contact Client Identity Services on 071 9672588

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Sep­tem­ber 17th2015
Tags transgender lgbt gender identity
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?