How do I get an Irish passport?
Find out how to apply for your first Irish passport or renew your current passport
Written by spunout
Fact checked by experts and reviewed by young people.
A passport is one of the most important legal documents. It serves as identification and also allows you to travel abroad.
How to apply for an Irish passport
There are certain steps that you need to take if you want to get a new Irish passport. Additionally, if you are under 18, you will need to receive consent from a parent or guardian when you apply.
Applying online is one of the easiest and fastest methods of renewing or getting a new passport.
Passport Online service
One of the easiest ways to apply for your new passport is online. If you are living in Ireland, Northern Ireland, Great Britain, the EU, the EEA or Switzerland, you can make your application using the Passport Online service.
To apply for a passport online, you will need:
- Access to a printer so you can send the original documents to the Passport Service once you have finished the online application
- A debit or credit card to pay for your application
- A digital photograph from a participating photo provider, or taken using a digital camera or smartphone. You can read more about the photo requirements for the Passport Online service
Once your online application has been completed, you will be asked to print an Identity Verification Form. If you are applying from Ireland, this will need to be signed by a member of the Garda Síochána. If you are applying outside Ireland, the form can be signed by a person in one of the occupations listed on the form.
You will also be asked to print an Application Cover Form once you have filled in your online application. This lists all of the documents that you will need to send to the Passport Office.
Passport Express is a service which allows you to apply for your passport through the Post Office.
You can do this by following these simple instructions:
- Pick up a passport application form at any Post Office or Garda Station
- Fill out the form
- The Post Office will give you a special Passport Express Envelope
- Hand the form, all relevant documentation, four passport photos and signatures back to the Post Office in the envelope
- Pay with debit card or cash
- Passport Express costs €9.50 plus the passport fee for a single application
Applying in person
It is not recommended that you apply for your passport in person unless it is an emergency. This service is usually used by those who need to renew their passports in a hurry. However, if you are outside of Ireland and do not have access to Passport Online or Passport Express, you can apply for your passport at your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate.
Getting your first Irish passport
If you are applying for your first passport, you can do so online, by post or in person at the Passport Office counter service. If you are living abroad and want to apply for your first Irish passport, you can do so at an Irish embassy or consulate.
If you are applying for your first passport, you will need the following documents:
- Passport photos or digital photos
- Your birth certificate
- Your civil marriage or civil partnership certificate (if you have changed your surname)
- Proof of address
- Proof of name
- Copy of your Public Services Card or original government issued photo identification document
- If resident in Northern Ireland or abroad, you must supply either an original passport, national ID card, social security card or a certified copy of your driving licence
You may be required to send other documents too, depending on your situation.
Renewing your passport
If you already have an Irish passport, you will need to renew it every number of years. You might renew your passport because it has expired, your passport was lost or stolen or you have changed your name.
You can renew your passport online, by post or in person.
Getting an emergency passport
A Rapid Renewal Service is available in the Dublin Passport Office for people who need a new passport in an emergency. If you need a passport for emergency travel abroad, you can contact the Passport Service.
Read more about how to apply for a Gender Recognition Certificate.
How much does it cost to get or renew a passport?
The cost of a passport depends on the type of passport you are getting and how you choose to apply.
Standard 10-year, 34-page passport
- Passport Online – €75 (+ €5 postage if you live outside Ireland)
- Passport Express – €80 (+€9.50 fee)
- In person – €95
Large 10-year 66-page passport
- Passport Online – €105 (plus €5 postage if you live outside Ireland)
- Passport Express – €110 (plus €9.50 fee)
- In person – €125
How long does it take to get a new passport?
The Passport Service recommends that you apply for your passport at least six weeks before you plan to travel. The time it takes to get a new passport after completing the application can change. You can check the Passport Service website for current processing times.
Tracking your passport
Once you submit your application, you can track its status online using the Passport Tracking Service.
Rapid Renewal Service
A Rapid Renewal Service is available in the Dublin Passport Office for people who need a new passport in an emergency. This service allows you to renew your passport if you are travelling in less than 3 working days. However, make sure to check that the service is currently available, because if it’s not you will need to renew online or by post, which takes longer.
How to get an EU Passport Card
If you’re interested in an easier and smaller form of identification that has similar benefits to the passport, a passport card can be purchased for €35. The passport card allows you to travel anywhere in the EU/EAA and Switzerland. You can apply if you’re an Irish citizen over the age of 18 with a valid passport and applications can be done online here.
The EU Passport Card is only valid for a maximum of five years or the remaining validity of your regular passport.
When applying for an EU Passport card you will need:
- Your current passport book
- Your photograph
- A debit or credit card
When you submit your application online you will be given an 11-digit application number. You can then track your application process on the Department’s website using your application number.
Need more information, advice or guidance?
We offer information, advice and guidance about the issues that matter to you. Our online Youth Information Chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm (excluding Bank Holidays).