Undergraduate students in Ireland can now apply to study civic engagement in the US. The five week programme is funded by Fulbright Ireland-USA and will be taking place in June and July 2020.
What is it?
Study of the U.S. Institutes (SUSIs) for European Student Leaders in Civic Engagement is a five week short-term academic programme taking place at the University of South Carolina, Columbia.
The programme provides students with an overview of how citizens have shaped U.S. history, government and society.
The successful candidate will have the opportunity to explore topics such as:
- Community building
- Economic development
- Grassroots activism
- Political leadership
The successful candidate will spend approximately four weeks studying at the university and approximately one week on study tours to Charleston, South Carolina; Williamsburg, Virginia; and Philadelphia, Pennsylvania. The programme will end with a forum in Washington, D.C.
Participants will have the opportunity to meet with community leaders, entrepreneurs and people from non-profit organisations.
Who can apply?
To apply for this programme you must:
- Be an undergraduate student in university, college or another institution of higher education with at least one semester of study left to complete after the programme
- Be an Irish citizens, or resident in Ireland for the last 3+ years (dual Irish-U.S. citizens are not eligible)
- Be aged 18-25
- Have little or no prior study or travel experience in the US or elsewhere outside of your home country
- Be willing and able to fully participate in an intensive academic program, community service and educational travel
- Be prepared to share living accommodation
Fields of study may include the sciences, social sciences, humanities, education, business, and other professional fields.
There is one place available for Irish students.
How much does it cost?
SUSIs is funded by Fulbright Ireland-USA.
The following is covered by the programme:
- Tuition and fees
- A range of associated academic and cultural programming
- Lodging and meals at the host university
- A daily incidentals allowance
- Visa sponsorship
- Accident and sickness coverage
How to apply
Those who wish to apply must register their interest here.
You should receive a response immediately. If you don’t check your spam folder.
Closing date for applications
The deadline for applications is 4pm on the 6th of January, 2020.
Have a look at these opinion pieces about studying abroad to learn more about the experience: