Feminism is defined as 'the advocacy of women's rights on the ground of the equality of the sexes'. Well that's a dictionary definition. In reality feminism is so much more. However, there are so many negative misconceptions about feminism.
What Feminism is NOT
- Contrary to common beliefs feminism is not;
- The hatred of males
- The belief that females are superior to males
- Females getting privileges over males
- Females having more of a say than males.
These types of beliefs are associated with Misandry. Misandry is defined as 'The dislike and hatred of men, and males in general. Example: It is MISANDRY to believe that only males are capable of abuse.' Again, this is NOT what feminism is favour of.
What Feminism IS
- Some of the actions which people may not know are associated with feminism are;
- Empowering women.
- Fighting for equal rights for women AND men.
- Fighting hate crimes against women
- Breaking through what society says females AND makes can/cannot do because they're females/males
- Moving away from gender stereotyping.
- Trying to ensure that women get the same chances and opportunities as men
- Standing up to Misogyny (the hatred of women)
These are just some examples of what feminism is but it may mean slightly different things to different people.