Back to Education Programmes
Learn about the different Back to Education programmes available.
There are a number of schemes available for people who wish to return to education if they are long term unemployed. Your eligibility for these schemes depends on your situation, and the level of education you have already reached.
These range from part time to full time options, and you have the choice of returning to second level, thir level, or postgraduate study.
What Back to Education Programmes are available?
- Back to Education Initiative - Part time further education courses for people aged over 16 who left full time education with less than an upper second level qualification.
- Back to Education Allowance - The BTEA is an educational opportunities scheme for unemployed people, lone parents and people with disabilities who are receiving benefit payments from the Department of Social Protection.
- Back to Education Allowance - Second Level - You can attend a second-level course of education at any secondary, community, comprehensive or vocational school.
- Back to Education Allowance - Third Level - You can attend any third-level course in an approved third level institution.
- Back to Education Allowance - Postgraduate - To qualify for the BTEA at postgraduate level you must be over 24 and have been getting a qualifying social welfare payment.
- Part-Time Education Option - The Part-Time Education Option (PTEO) allows you to keep your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit and attend a part-time day or evening course for education or training.
- Education, Training and Development Option - These are short courses that let you retain your jobseeker's payment.