GATE is an employment service for people coming to the end of their term in prison. It aims to help with overcoming the barriers many people with convictions face when looking for work. The service also focuses on resettlement and reintegration of individuals into wider society. GATE is offered as a joint service between the Irish Association for the Social Integration of Offenders (IASIO) and the Irish Prison Service (IPS).
The GATE service is offered through a Training and Employment Officer (TEO). The TEO works with people in prison to help them develop a plan for what they will do after they’re released. The plan is based around the training, education or employment needs of the individual and will focus on how they can overcome challenges related to these. The TEO can help you with any and all of the following:
- Life guidance
- Finding training, education and employment opportunities, both in the prison and after release
- Help you write a good CV
- Help you prepare for job interviews
- Help you register with Intreo before your release so that you can get on the waiting list for training early
- Offer advice on searching for a job and disclosing your prison history to potential employers
- Provide you with tests and assessments so you can learn more about your personality, skills and suitability for different types of work.
You can arrange to meet the TEO while in prison so long as your release date is approaching, you’re motivated and you’re willing to engage with work, training or education before and after your release. You’ll also need not to have problems with alcohol or drug abuse. You can meet the TEO if you are currently stable on methadone. Once you meet these requirements, the following people and services can refer you to the TEO:
- The Governor
- The Chief Officer
- The Industrial Manager
- The ISM Officer
- The Psychology Service
- The Education Service
- The Addiction Service
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.