What is a P45?

You've probably heard of a P45 when changing jobs, but what is it?
Written by

A P45 is a very important piece of paper given to you by an employer when you finish working for their company. This document is a certificate of your income, PAYE, PRSI and USC paid since the start of the tax year up to the end of your employment.

What is on a P45?

  • Gross pay to date of leaving your job
  • Tax deducted from wages
  • Tax credits and rate band (i.e. 20% or 41%)
  • The date your employment ended
  • Number of weeks of insurable employment
  • USC paid
  • USC rate
  • PRSI contributions paid
  • PRSI class

Your P45 is needed to claim a refund of PAYE and/or USC while you’re unemployed. It’s also needed to claim Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit. You’re required to give it to your new employer whenever you start a new job, too. Unless you want to get emergency taxed when you start a new job, make sure you hand over your P45 along with your bank details to the new employer. After this, it’s up to your employer to sort out the rest. They’ll send the P45 to Revenue, who will then calculate how much tax you should be paying, this will depend on how much you earn, and if you’ve received any social welfare payments while you were unemployed.

Your employer is legally required to issue you with a P45 when you finish work, so if you don’t get one, ask, and if you still don’t get one, contact your local Revenue office.

For more information look at the Revenue website and the Citizens Information Website.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Related articles
Skip to content