Áine’s chickpea and rice salad
This is a portable, handy lunch option!
Written by Áine O'Connell
Fact checked by experts and reviewed by young people.
Lunch is my favourite meal of the day, but as a student it’s hands-down the most awkward one. Often, the best option on a busy day is a chicken fillet roll but that gets expensive and unhealthy very quickly! My favourite thing to cook for college is a filling salad - with the right mix of goodies, it can be delish, I promise! I love this one because it’s portable, healthy and super cheap to make.
This recipe is for a rice, chickpea and pepper salad with a balsamic dressing. However, feel free to mix this one up: try it with cashew nuts and chicken to up your protein intake. Alternatively, switch the peppers for broccoli.
- 1 cup rice (brown or white)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1-2 green, red or yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 chicken fillet, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Boil the rice according to pack instructions and set aside
- Add the chopped pepper and and chickpeas to the rice
- Add the cooked chicken (if using) and toss
- For the dressing, mix three parts olive oil to one-part balsamic vinegar. Pour over salad, season with salt and pepper and serve, hot or cold.