Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

What is Housing Assistance Payment?

HAP is a type of social housing support provided by the local authority

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in life

Share this article -

Housing Assistance Payment (HAP) is a type of social housing support that the local authority can give to people who are unable to fully afford their rent alone. This means that the local authority, which is the city or county council, will pay some or all of a person's or family's rent. HAP is for people with long-term housing needs and will eventually replace rent supplement for this group. 

What is HAP?

Under the HAP scheme you can take up full-time employment and still receive housing support. Your rent will be paid by your local authority (your city or county council) directly to your landlord, but you will also have to pay a weekly rent contribution to your local authority. Your rent contribution will be an amount of money and the amount you pay will be based on your income and ability to pay.

Who can apply for HAP?

To be able to apply for HAP:

  • You must be on your local authority’s housing list
  • You can only be on the housing list if you qualify for social housing support 
  • If you are currently housed by your local authority, you cannot apply for HAP

If you currently receive rent supplement and qualify for social housing support then you will be transferred to the HAP system on a phased basis.

If you would like to find out if you qualify for social housing support and HAP, you can find the information to contact your local authority here.

How does HAP work?

If you qualify for HAP, you then have to find your own accommodation in the private rented market within the rent limits in your area. This means that you will have to find a house that is privately owned, to rent, within the area you applied for such as Finglas or South Dublin. A landlord is not allowed to refuse to rent the property to you on the basis that you are applying under the HAP scheme and they cannot refuse to accept HAP payments. 

How is my rent paid through HAP?

Your local authority will pay your landlord monthly and you will pay your rent contribution weekly to the local authority. You can pay your rent contribution through the An Post Household Budget Scheme or by bank standing order. If you do not pay your rent contribution, payments to your landlord will be suspended and eventually stopped. You will then be completely responsible for paying the rent yourself.

What are the benefits of HAP?

  • HAP allows you to work full-time, while still receiving housing support
  • Your local authority will inspect the rental property to make sure it meets a certain standard

Rent limits under the HAP

When finding accommodation under the HAP scheme your rent must be within the rent limits set by the local authority. In certain cases a 20% flexibility may be provided where accommodation can not be found within the rent limits. Your limit will depend on whether you are single, in a couple or with children as well as whether the accommodation is shared and where it is located. You can find the rent limits for your local authority here.

What are my rights while renting through the HAP scheme?

Although your rent will be paid by the local authority to your landlord, your tenancy agreement (lease) will be with your landlord directly. Your tenancy will be covered under the terms of the Residential Tenancies Act 2004 (as amended). You can find further information as your rights as a renter on the RTB website.

I am on rent supplement, when can I transfer to HAP?

If you are currently on rent supplement and qualify for social housing support you will be gradually transferred over to HAP. If you apply for the HAP scheme your rent supplement payments will stop once your application has been approved. You and your landlord will be written to to explain the process of changing from rent supplement to HAP.

What are the main differences between Rent Supplement and HAP?

One of the main differences between rent supplement and HAP is that you can take up full-time employment and still receive HAP.

What is Homeless HAP?

There is a specific HAP scheme running in Dublin and Cork City for homeless households. The Homeless HAP scheme gives additional financial and related supports to both tenants and landlords. To qualify for Homeless HAP your local authority will have to decide that you are homeless, with no alternative accommodation and that you need additional support to find and secure rental accommodation.

You can find further information on Homeless HAP here.

If you would like to learn more about your rights as a renter you can visit our Accommodation section here.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Feb­ru­ary 13th2019
Last updated Feb­ru­ary 14th2019
Tags housing
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?