Rent supplement in Ireland
Check out the Citizens Information info.
Are you having a hard time paying your rent? Worried that you will end up homeless because you don't earn enough to put a roof over your head? Well, you could be entitled to a rent supplement. Ireland's Rent Supplement scheme is a social welfare benefit paid to people who cannot earn enough money to pay their rent and are struggling to do so.
Who is entitled to Rent Supplement in Ireland?
You will get Rent Supplement if you have been:
- Living in accommodation for homeless people for the past six months
- Privately renting accommodation
- Living in an Irish institution – prison, hospital etc
- Assessed by a local authority as 'in need of social housing'
You won't get Rent Supplement if you:
- Are full-time employed
- Are living in the family home
- Are in full-time education (except if you're involved in the Back To Education Programme, or a Momentum programme)
- Have refused a second offer of accommodation made by your local authority
- Have been excluded from social housing because of anti-social behaviour
- If you are married to or living with a partner who works full-time, you cannot claim Rent Supplement
How much is Rent Supplement in Ireland?
Each county in Ireland has a set maximum rent level and you will not receive payment for an accommodation that charges more than the maximum rent rate in your county. To receive the rent supplement you must still contribute something to the rent. This means that each non-dependant household member in receipt of a personal social welfare payment must contribute €30 towards rent, which is the minimum contribution required. In almost all instances you must pay your share.
Remember, if you're really struggling for money you can apply to a number of other supplements, benefits and allowances from the Government e.g. Back to Education Allowance, Dental Benefit, Child Benefit and more. All information is easily available on Citizens Information.
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.