On the move safety
Stay safe on your way home
Travelling alone is an exciting challenge which you can decide to take at any stage in life. To some travelling alone can be a daunting prospect but there are certain steps you can take to make your journey safer and to make yourself feel more confident when travelling alone.
On the bus
- If you’re travelling alone on a bus, sit near the driver so you can complain if anyone harasses you
- Try not to use bus stops that are isolated or badly lit
- Let a friend or family member know your travel plans so they know how you are getting from one place to another
- Try and always walk in well-lit, populated areas
- Avoid narrow streets, bushes and entry ways or taking short-cuts
- Avoid hitching or take a lift with someone who’s been drinking
- Only take lifts from someone you know well
- When walking alone or if you’re lost, walk confidentially and at a steady pace
- Walk so that you are facing traffic coming towards you
- If a car stops to ask for directions don’t approach it, answer from a safe distance to avoid being pulled into the car
Taking a taxi
- If you take a taxi make sure that it is a licensed is a taxi before getting in
- Try to book in advance, wait for the driver to say your name or ask for evidence of which taxi company they work for
- Ask for the cost of the journey before you get in so you can check if you’ve enough money
One of the many upsides of travelling alone is the opportunity to meet new people and make new friends but it is important to stay alert and trust your instinct. It you see or hear something strange get yourself to safety as soon as possible. If you feel in anyway uncomfortable in a situation leave and go somewhere you know is safe or you feel you can find someone you will trust.
For all the information you need on travelling on a budget, staying in hostels and more visit the SpunOut Travel section.
Need more information?
We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.