About this recipe
- Servings: 4
- Preparation time: 10 minutes
- Cooking time: 25 minutes
- Utensils needed: Casserole dish
- 2 cans of tuna in brine/ drained (198g)
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1oz/25g margarine
- 1oz/25g flour
- 3/4 pt/425ml milk
- pinch of salt if desired
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1oz margarine
- 225g fresh brown breadcrumbs (6 slices)
- Pre-heat the oven to 180°C / 350°F / Gas Mark 4.
- First, make your parsley sauce by melting the margarine in a saucepan.
- Add the flour and cook over a low heat for one minute, stirring all the time.
- Remove from the heat and cool slightly.
- Add the milk, salt and pepper stirring all the time.
- Return to the heat and bring to the boil. Keep stirring.
- Reduce heat and cook slowly for five minutes, then add 1-2 teaspoons of finely chopped parsley two minutes before the end of the cooking time.
- Rinse the tuna under cold water to reduce salt. Flake the tuna and mix together with the onion, parsley sauce, worcestershire sauce, salt and pepper.
- Pour some of the fish sauce into a casserole dish. Add a layer of breadcrumbs, followed by a layer of sauce.
- Continue layering in this way until all the ingredients have been used up.
- Finish with a layer of breadcrumbs on the top, dot the surface with the margarine and bake in the pre-heated oven for 20-25 minutes.
- Serve immediately.