Take part in a free Stress Control programme online
This six part programme takes place from Monday the 8th of June
Written by spunout
Information about the latest news and opportunities.
Stress is a normal reaction to the rapidly changing and uncertain times we are all living in at the moment. If you are feeling a bit more stressed than usual and would like to learn some great ways, free-of-charge, to deal with common problems like anxiety, depression, panicky feelings, poor sleep and poor wellbeing then the Stress Control online classes may be of help to you.
‘Stress Control’ is a six-session cognitive-behavioural therapy class used in community-settings by the NHS (UK), the HSE (Ireland) and across the world. You can find out more in this short video.
Access Stress Control classes online for free
As you can’t come to a regular Stress Control class due to the current COVID-19 (Coronavirus) pandemic, Stress Control will come to you by live streaming two sessions a week on YouTube. Each of the six sessions will be run in September, October, November and December. There are two available times to sit each class.
The sessions will be led by Dr Jim White, consultant clinical psychologist, who created the class and who has taught most of the NHS (UK) and HSE (Ireland) trainers who would normally be running classes in their communities. Stress Control online already ran over three weeks in April and an average audience of 6,000 attended each session.
When do the Stress Control sessions take place?
Session 1: What is stress?
- September: Monday 07/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 9th)
- October: Monday 05/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 7th)
- November: Monday 02/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 4th)
- December: Monday 30/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 2nd)
Session 2: Controlling your body
- September: Thursday 10/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 12th)
- October: Thursday 08/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 10th)
- November: Thursday 03/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 5th)
- December: Thursday 03/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 5th)
Session 3: Controlling your thoughts
- September: Monday 14/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until Wednesday 16th)
- October: Monday 12/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 14th)
- November: Monday 09/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 11th)
- December: Monday 07/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 9th)
Session 4: Controlling your actions
- September: Thursday 17/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until Saturday 19th)
- October: Thursday 15/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 17th)
- November: Thursday 12/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 14th)
- December: Thursday 10/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 12th)
Session 5: Controlling panicky feelings and getting good night’s sleep
- September: Monday 21/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until Wednesday 23rd)
- October: Monday 19/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 21st)
- November: Monday 16/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 18th)
- December: Monday 14/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Wednesday 16th)
Session 6: Boosting your wellbeing, tying it all together and controlling your future
- September: Thursday 24/09/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until Saturday 26th)
- October: Thursday 22/10/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 24th)
- November: Thursday 19/11/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 21st)
- December: Thursday 17/12/2020 2pm and 8:30pm (available until 10pm Saturday 19th)
How to take part in Stress Control online?
If you want to take part, go to stresscontrol.org where you can learn more about the class. Everything you need to successfully complete the class such as the booklets, self-assessment, relaxation and mindfulness tracks can be found in the ‘Free zone’. If you can, please read, and start working on, the ‘Preparing for the course’ booklets before Session 1. These can be found in the ‘Booklets’ section of the ‘Free zone’.
Subscribe to the Stress Control YouTube channel
To subscribe to the YouTube channel, visit the Stress Control 2020 YouTube channel where the classes will be available to view at the scheduled times. If you click the ‘Subscribe’ button on their free YouTube page, you will receive notifications when a new session is available.
How long will the sessions run for?
The session will begin exactly on time, so make sure you are there from the start. Sessions run for about 90 minutes and there will be a 10-minute break in the middle. Due to copyright restrictions, sessions will only live stream so they will not remain on YouTube.
Do I have to attend every session?
Each session is one piece of the jigsaw in tackling your stress. By coming to each class, the jigsaw will form, the big picture can emerge, and you will learn how to handle your stress better. This is cognitive-behavioural therapy so it is crucial you practice the skills you will learn between sessions.
Look after yourself
Life is very hard for us just now and there are no easy solutions or magic cures, but, with hard work and determination, we can boost our resilience to cope with these difficult times and come out the other end stronger. Please pass this on to anyone who you think might benefit from the class.
Feeling overwhelmed or anxious around the current pandemic?
This situation is completely new to everyone involved and it is normal to feel worried or anxious about what is going on. Following the Government’s instructions on how to stay safe and help slow the spread of the virus, can help to make you feel more in control of your current situation.
If you feel overwhelmed by the current situation and need someone to talk to, our anonymous, 24 hour text line is always open. You’re worth talking about and we’re here to listen and support you.
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service