Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better.
Written by spunout
Information about the latest news and opportunities.
Do you need someone to talk to right now? spunout’s text message support service ‘Text About It’ is a free, anonymous, 24/7 messaging service providing everything from a calming chat to immediate support for mental health and wellbeing.
Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 (ALL MAJOR NETWORKS)
Text SPUNOUT to 0861800280 (48/AN POST/CLEAR MOBILE)
How Text About It works
Text About It provides a safe space where you’re listened to by a trained volunteer. You’ll message back and forth, only sharing what you feel comfortable with. By asking questions, listening to you and responding with support, they will help you sort through your feelings until you both feel you are now in a calm, safe place.
- Text SPUNOUT to 50808 for free
To start a conversation with us, text the word ‘SPUNOUT’ for free to 50808. You’ll get two automated messages in response. The first will outline our terms and conditions and the second will simply ask “What’s going on for you?”
Remember: 48, An Post & Clear Mobile customers should text ‘SPUNOUT’ to 0861800280, standard SMS charges may apply.
- Share a little bit about why you’re texting in.
Tell us a little bit about what brought you to text us. Remember you can text us for any reason and about any issue. Text About It is a safe space to share anonymously.
- Wait to be connected with a trained volunteer
Once you tell us a little bit about what’s going on for you, you will be placed in the queue to be connected with your dedicated volunteer. You are usually connected with your volunteer within 5 minutes, but sometimes this can take a little longer during busy times.
- You are connected with a Text About It volunteer
The volunteer will introduce themselves, reflect on what you’ve said, and invite you to share at your own pace. You’ll text back and forth, only sharing what you feel comfortable with. We are here to support you.
- Sorting through your feelings and finding calm
By asking questions, listening to you and responding with support, your volunteer will help you sort through your feelings until you both feel you are in a calm, safe place.
- Next steps and options for further support
You may also be provided with some information about other services or resources offered by our partner organisations, so that you can continue to get support.
SOME THINGS TO REMEMBER:
- If at any time you want to end the conversation, you can text STOP and you won’t receive any further texts.
- If our team believes you or someone else is at imminent risk, we will contact the emergency services to ensure your safety and it will be up to the emergency services to determine how and when they respond.
- It’s not a one way process: you won’t be told what to do. You’ll need to work with the volunteer to share what is going on for you, explore options and look to move forward.
- Our volunteers don’t provide clinical advice and the service does not provide therapy or long-term support.
- If your phone network doesn’t support short codes like 50808, you can reach us using our back-up number 0861800280, however standard messaging rates may apply to this number.