Who can vote in the local elections?
Find out if you are eligible to vote and how you can register to vote
Written by spunout
Information about the latest news and opportunities.
The local elections will take place on Friday the 24th of May, 2019. All Irish citizens living in Ireland, who are over 18 and are registered to vote can vote in the local elections. If you are living in Ireland but are not an Irish citizen you still have the right to vote in local elections. To be eligible to vote you must be over the age of 18, have lived in Ireland since September 2018 and are registered to vote in your local constituency. For example, this means that if you are a Brazilian living in Ireland since September 2018 and over the age of 18 you can register and vote in all local elections.
Who can vote in Irish local elections?
- Anyone legally living in Ireland since September 2018
- Who is over the age of 18
- And is registered to vote
When do I have to register to vote by?
If you would like to vote in the local elections on the 24th of May, 2019 you must register to do so. To be registered your application needs to be received up to 15 days before polling day. This does not include Sundays, public holidays and Good Friday.
This year, you must be registered to vote by Tuesday the 7th of May. Monday the 6th of May is a bank holiday so to make sure your application is received on time we recommend you send it as soon as possible.
How do I register to vote in the local elections?
- To get on the supplement of the register, you need to fill out the RFA2 form which you can find here. You can also get this form in your post office, public library, or local authority.
- Get it signed by a member of the Gardaí (Bring ID)
- Post it or bring it to your local authority, county council, or city council
- It is your responsibility to make sure it arrives on time so deliver by hand rather than post if you are submitting it close to the deadline.
Once this is done, your details will be added to the Register of Electors and you’ll be able to vote in local elections if you are eligible to do so.
Remember the cut-off date of register to vote in the local elections 2019 is Tuesday the 7th of May.
Need more information, advice or guidance?
We offer information, advice and guidance about the issues that matter to you. Our online Youth Information Chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm (excluding Bank Holidays).