Áine's chickpea and rice salad
This is a portable, handy lunch option!
This is an opinion of a young person and does not necessarily reflect the opinion of SpunOut.ie. It is one person's experience and may be different for you. If you'd like to write something for SpunOut.ie please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Lunch is my favourite meal of the day, but as a student it's hands-down the most awkward one. Often, the best option on a busy day is a chicken fillet roll but that gets expensive and unhealthy very quickly! My favourite thing to cook for college is a filling salad - with the right mix of goodies, it can be delish, I promise! I love this one because it's portable, healthy and super cheap to make.
This recipe is for a rice, chickpea and pepper salad with a balsamic dressing. However, feel free to mix this one up: try it with cashew nuts and chicken to up your protein intake. Alternatively, switch the peppers for broccoli.
- 1 cup rice (brown or white)
- 1 tin chickpeas, drained
- 1-2 green, red or yellow peppers, chopped
- 1 chicken fillet, cooked and chopped (optional)
- Boil the rice according to pack instructions and set aside
- Add the chopped pepper and and chickpeas to the rice
- Add the cooked chicken (if using) and toss
- For the dressing, mix three parts olive oil to one-part balsamic vinegar. Pour over salad, season with salt and pepper and serve, hot or cold.