spunout is excited to announce our latest campaign “Face up to Fat-Shaming”. Chosen by the spunout Action Panel volunteers, they are asking people to recognise and reflect upon the negative impact that body-shaming and fat-shaming can have. The campaign will highlight the personal stories of young people who have experienced fat-shaming or body-shaming, both from themselves and others, due to what society has taught them about being fat or living in a larger body.
This campaign was chosen by our young volunteers as they felt that body-shaming and fat-shaming, in particular, is really common amongst young people and that because of this it was really important to start a conversation about why judging ourselves and others based on weight and appearance is not helpful.
Face up to Fat-Shaming Content
- 6 fat-shaming myths and the facts to tackle them
- How to combat family member’s casual fatphobia
- How to cope with internalised fatphobia
- A young person’s experience of internalised fatphobia
- Unlearning diet culture helped me to flourish**
- My experience of an eating disorder and internalised fatphobia**
- Understanding emotional eating and body image**
To get involved you can share stories of how fat-shaming or comments on your appearance have affected you using #FaceuptoFatShaming. You can also check out our social media accounts to read the campaign content over the week.
Feeling overwhelmed or want to talk to someone right now?
- Get anonymous support 24/7 with our text message support service
- Connect with a trained volunteer who will listen to you, and help you to move forward feeling better
- Free-text SPUNOUT to 50808 to begin
- Find out more about our text message support service
If you are a customer of the 48 or An Post network or cannot get through using the ‘50808’ short code please text HELLO to 086 1800 280 (standard message rates may apply). Some smaller networks do not support short codes like ‘50808’.