World Asthma Week 2017
Many people are using their inhalers incorrectly
Approximately 300,000 Irish asthmatics are using their inhalers incorrectly, putting them at severe risks as inhaler misuse can cause serious asthma attacks or even death, as 50 people died from the condition last year. The positive thing is that the majority of these cases are preventable.
The CEO of the Asthma society of Ireland Averil Power stated that "Up to 50pc of all asthmatics don't use their inhalers correctly so don't have their asthma under control. As a result someone ends up in A&E every 26 minutes with a serious asthma attack.”
To help prevent recurring asthmatic problems, Boots, in association with the Asthma Society, is providing free 'Let's Breathe Easy' asthma consultations and support packs in its 83 pharmacies across Ireland for the full month of May.
Susan O’Dwyer, Healthcare Development Manager with Boots Ireland said, “Throughout the month of May, asthma patients can avail of a free ‘Let’s Breathe Easy’ consultation in their local Boots pharmacy. These consultations are designed to provide advice and support to patients with asthma, helping them to better manage their condition. They can discuss their current use of medication with a pharmacist and have their inhaler technique checked to ensure they are not wasting their medicine by using their device incorrectly.”
Minister for Health Simon Harris, is also encouraging people to take the opportunity to have their asthma management checked this World Asthma Day. According to the Minister, “With proper management, people with asthma can live full lives, symptom-free. However, poor asthma control leaves them at risk of having a serious attack at any time. I would encourage everyone with asthma to avail of the advice of their pharmacist to ensure they are taking their inhalers correctly and managing their asthma to the best effect.
This is a perfect opportunity for asthmatics to decrease their risk of asthma attacks by ensuring they are using their inhalers correctly and not wasting their medication.