Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

Education, Training and Development Option - BTEA

These are short courses that let you retain your jobseeker's payment

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

Can I keep my jobseeker’s payment while attending certain short courses?

Under the Education, Training and Development Option you may continue to get your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit while attending certain short education, training or development.

Your Intreo centre may make special signing-on arrangements so that you can attend your chosen course.

How do I qualify for these courses?

To qualify for the Education, Training and Development Option and keep your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit you must be:

  • At least 21 years of age or
  • Between 18 and 20 and out of the formal education system for at least 2 years and
  • Have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or signing on for unemployment credits for at least 6 months (156 days).

What type of courses are covered?

The Education, Training and Development Option allows you to attend short courses, generally no longer than 10 weeks. For example, courses may be one-day courses, half-day courses for a number of weeks or evening courses.
You must be able to show that the course chosen will improve your chances of getting a job.

Courses you can take part in include:

  • Personal development courses
  • General training courses
  • Specific job skills courses
  • Evening courses

The course must be approved by a case officer and should form part of your DSP Personal Progression Plan. You can arrange an appointment with a case officer by contacting your Intreo centre.

How do I find out more?

To find out about available courses and get advice on how to get a place on the course of your choice, you should contact your local ETB, school or college, public library or Citizens Information Service.

How much will I get paid?

You will continue to get your weekly Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit at your usual rate and any other secondary benefits.

Secondary benefits may include:

  • Fuel Allowance
  • Rent Supplement and Mortgage Interest Supplement. However, out of pocket expenses, may affect the amount of Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement you are getting.
  • Signing for unemployment credits

If you have been signing on for unemployment credits, you will continue to get credits while you are participating in the Education, Training and Development Option.

How do I apply?

All applications for the Back to Education - Education, Training and Development Option should be made on form BTE1(pdf). You will be asked to provide information about your course, for example:

  • The course timetable
  • Written confirmation from the relevant organisation or school that you have registered for the course
  • You may be asked for confirmation of on-going course attendance
  • You are also required to notify the Department when you finish the course.

Where do I apply?

Apply for the Education, Training and Development Option at your Intreo centre or DSP office.


Share this article -

Published October 14th, 2016
Last updated February 21st, 2018
Tags unemployment education skills training
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?