Skip navigation and jump to content
Welcome to Ireland's Youth Information Website
Follow us
Facebook Twitter Instagram YouTube Snapchat

Accessibility Options

High Contrast Text Size

The Education, Training and Development Option for jobseekers

These are short courses that let you retain your jobseeker's payment

Written by SpunOut | View this authors Twitter page and posted in education

Share this article -

If you are a jobseeker and thinking about improving some of your skills by taking a course, there are options available to you that will allow you to go on a short course without losing your jobseeker's payments.

The Education, Training and Development Option offers short-term courses in different areas.

The Education, Training and Development Option

Below are answers to some of the common questions around the Education, Training and Development Option.

Can I keep my jobseeker’s payment while attending certain short courses?

Under the Education, Training and Development Option you may continue to get your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit while attending certain short education, training or development.

Your Intreo centre may make special signing-on arrangements so that you can attend your chosen course.

How do I qualify for these courses?

To qualify for the Education, Training and Development Option and keep your Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker's Benefit you must be:

At least 21 years of age or between 18 and 20 and out of the formal education system for at least 2 years and have been getting Jobseeker's Allowance, Jobseeker's Benefit or signing on for unemployment credits for at least 6 months (156 days).

What type of courses can I take?

The Education, Training and Development Option allows you to attend short courses, generally no longer than 10 weeks. For example, courses may be one-day courses, half-day courses for a number of weeks or evening courses.

You must be able to show that the course chosen will improve your chances of getting a job.

Courses you can take part in include:

  • Personal development courses
  • General training courses
  • Specific job skills courses
  • Evening courses

The course must be approved by a case officer and should form part of your DSP Personal Progression Plan. You can arrange an appointment with a case officer by contacting your Intreo centre.

How do I find out more?

To find out about available courses and get advice on how to get a place on the course of your choice, you should contact your local ETB, school or college, public library or Citizens Information Service.

Payments during the Education, Training and Development Option

You will continue to get your weekly Jobseeker’s Allowance or Jobseeker’s Benefit at your usual rate and any other secondary benefits.

Secondary benefits may include:

  • Fuel Allowance
  • Rent Supplement and Mortgage Interest Supplement. However, out of pocket expenses, may affect the amount of Rent Supplement or Mortgage Interest Supplement you are getting.
  • Signing for unemployment credits

If you have been signing on for unemployment credits, you will continue to get credits while you are participating in the Education, Training and Development Option.

How do I apply?

You can apply for the Education, Training and Development Option through your local INTREO office. Find the details of your local INTREO here.

What is involved in the application?

All applications for the Education, Training and Development Option are made through the Back to Education Allowance form (form BTE 1). You can learn how to fill out this form here.

You will be asked to provide information about your previous education and employment, as well as information about the course you want to apply for.

If you need help with your form or more information on this scheme, contact your local INTREO.

Need more information?

We are here to answer your questions and talk through your options. Our online chat service is for 16 to 25 year olds and is available Monday to Friday, 4pm to 8pm. Chat to us now about your situation.

Share this article -

Published Octo­ber 14th2016
Tags unemployment education skills training
Can this be improved? Contact if you have any suggestions for this article.

Need more information?

Request to speak with a youth worker in your area over the phone, by email or text. They may be able to assist you by providing further information specific to your needs.

Youth Work Ireland - Crosscare - YMCA

Contact via: Phone E-mail Text
By clicking submit you agree to our terms and conditions. ​Please note that this service is run by Youth Work Ireland and Crosscare​.​ E​nquiries are not handled by directly.
Jump to related articles
Was this article helpful?